Suunto Ambit 3 replacement

1 watcher
Mar 2021
9:27am, 31 Mar 2021
2,859 posts
  •  
Bru-Bru
I have used a Suunto Ambit 3 for years and was very happy with the long battery life, fact it is waterproof (I do a bit of canoeing) and customisable for multiple sports (I do some niche sports not on the usual lists), transfers to strava seamlessly (but to Fetch less so) BUT Suunto have phased out their Movescount 2 software, which I liked, and replaced it with the Suunto App (based on trackmate) which I hate and I would quite like something slim enough to wear it every day rather than wearing a normal watch and then swapping it for a large plastic pasty when I run so have decided to take the plunge and get a new watch. Question is which one?

Do newer Suuntos work better with the App now (the Suunto 5 seems the nearest equivalent)? Is there a Garmin equivalent which works better but does not cost the earth? Is Garmin connect still good? Or is there some other Polar/Tom-tom/COROS equivalent I have never heard of which does all these things better for cheaper?

Educate me please, Fetch!
Mar 2021
11:19am, 31 Mar 2021
2,860 posts
  •  
Bru-Bru
tumbleweed.......
Mar 2021
11:21am, 31 Mar 2021
14,428 posts
  •  
Ness
Can’t help, sorry. I’m a Garmin user. Hope someone else can offer advice.
Mar 2021
9:23pm, 31 Mar 2021
8,273 posts
  •  
becca7
It's a while since I moved on from the equivalent of this Suunto (I got a replacement but it was too chunky for my wrist) and have used Garmin instead. I found the Suunto software clunky but liked the long battery life and the watch itself was fine. The Garmin software occasionally goes down and social media gets excited but it is normally reliable. There are some good deals but I'm not sure which Garmins are waterproof.
Apr 2021
9:45am, 1 Apr 2021
460 posts
  •  
The Mussile
I have the Suunto 9 and I find it works really well with the app which I only use for routes and updates anyway.

The latest firmware updates have meant that you can now link to Komoot and get turn by turn navigation too. I have had far fewer issues with suunto than with comparable garmins and I absolutely hatye the mess that is Garmin connect.

The big new player for value seems to be COROS and based on reviews on Youtube could be worth a look at
Apr 2021
2:37pm, 1 Apr 2021
2,861 posts
  •  
Bru-Bru
What is Komoot??!!?
Apr 2021
2:43pm, 1 Apr 2021
11,738 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
Garmin is the biggest user base and some might think they are expensive but the support is great and the software is robust. Most of the recent models are waterproof.

Have a look at the comparisons on DCRainmaker.com to see what suits your needs.
Apr 2021
10:29pm, 1 Apr 2021
2,625 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
Another vote for the Suunto 9 (mine's the Baro version) and I too find it works well with the App. The battery life is fantastic and all the effort/cost has gone into the functionality related to activity measurement not 'other' functionality e.g. music that Garmin seem to think enhances a watch (I don't!). If I was in the market for replacing it I'd be looking at either another Suunto (I had a Ambit 3 before this one as well) or possibly a Coros which as first glance seem to be very good and again seem to concentrate on the essential functionality.
Apr 2021
3:17pm, 7 Apr 2021
15,440 posts
  •  
Garfield
Komoot is a mapping tool - komoot.com

You can plan runs, rides, hikes on it. It shows footpaths, etc, not just roads. to help planning journeys.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Bru-Bru
I have used a Suunto Ambit 3 for years and was very happy with the long battery life, fact it is wat...