Reducing single-use/disposable plastic

74 watchers
Aug 2020
5:19pm, 13 Aug 2020
193 posts
  •  
Snoot
I've not checked but will do now you've prompted rf, thanks. I was surprised on a technical visit to Workington docks a couple of years ago to see bails of disinfected waste being loaded on to a ship heading for Lithuania(?) as fuel for a waste to energy plant! The footprint of the shipping must surely outweigh the benefit??
Aug 2020
5:31pm, 13 Aug 2020
4,365 posts
  •  
run free
Am surprised they are sending out of the country. UK has quite a number of WTE plants here. This is Surrey's End Destination Report: surreyep.org.uk

Whilst there are many places in the UK we are sending our 'recyclables' to there is also a good proportion going out of the country. No percentages available so think it must be a good bulk going out.

Mixed Paper/OCC/card being sent to China/India/Indonesia/Vietnam etc
Plastic to Turkey/Netherlands
Aug 2020
12:37pm, 29 Aug 2020
4,405 posts
  •  
run free
Interesting to read about micro/nano plastics being generated when you open a bottle of water or a bag of pasta. Guess this would make sense as it is the deformation of a material/shearing of the material.

nature.com
Aug 2020
12:39pm, 29 Aug 2020
4,406 posts
  •  
run free
"We have found that microplastics can be generated by simple tasks in our daily lives such as by scissoring with scissors, tearing with hands, cutting with knives or twisting manually, to open plastics containers/bags/tapes/ caps."
Aug 2020
9:08pm, 31 Aug 2020
21,541 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I was only thinking about this the other day as I watched my friend snip open a bag of pasta.
Jul 2021
12:40pm, 2 Jul 2021
2,116 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Turkey have stopped taking our crap! (See BBC website)

I assume that cardboard packaging for fruits would be more easily recycled and/or safer to burn.

I am specifically thinking the punnets that I have in my kitchen right now containing grapes, cherries, strawberries, baby tomatoes etc.

I am old enough to remember all of those things being sold in brown paper bags.
Aug 2021
2:42pm, 15 Aug 2021
2,149 posts
  •  
cackleberry
You have perhaps seen the advert for soft plastic recycling at the Co-op. Here is a link for info on what can be recycled and which stores have collection points.

coop.co.uk

Mine does so I can start collecting that up.

(Wasn't sure of the best thread, so posted on a few! Not spamming, honest :) )
Aug 2021
7:14pm, 15 Aug 2021
1,574 posts
  •  
Turtlemama
That's great!! We used to recycle such things through a local charity but they've stopped doing it. My local coop doesn't do it yet, but there are a couple within a half hour drive, so can save bags of stuff to take in bulk 😊
Aug 2021
9:36pm, 15 Aug 2021
5,587 posts
  •  
TheScribbler
Thanks for the link. Both my local small stores do the recycling and are where I pop to for small bits and bobs we can’t get from our farm shop.
Aug 2021
3:49am, 16 Aug 2021
4,827 posts
  •  
run free
Tesco and sainsurys are also collecting soft plastics. Wonder how much is actually recycled?

About This Thread

Maintained by run free
Information about Plastic Packaging:
UK: wrap.org.uk

EU: ec.europa.eu

What products have microbeads?
beatthemicrobead.org

To help you reduce try one level at a time:https://tyrelady.wordpress.com/support-the-challenges/

What the EU is doing:
europa.eu

- currently the UK will be following SOME of the EU measures.
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

Terms used to describe plastic:
1. Biodegradable (also oxi-biodegradable)
2. Bioplastic
3. Compostable
4. Plastic that potentially could be recycled (has numbers)
5. Plastic that cannot be recycled

Some resources:
BBC's info on the numbers on Plastics:
news.bbc.co.uk

The misconceptions of biodegradable plastics from an academic:
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acs.est.7b04051?src=recsys&

Understanding plastic terms:
wrap.org.uk

Bioplastic developments as seen by British Plastic

britishplastics.co.uk