Reducing single-use/disposable plastic

74 watchers
Aug 2021
3:45pm, 22 Aug 2021
4,835 posts
  •  
run free
Ya mean the Western world wants cheap and cheerful.....

And then wants to blame India, Bangladesh, China etc for polluting the world.

I seem to have people (have been out on the streets asking folk to write me a climate action) frequently telling me to go talk to China, India, etc for polluting the world and I have to remind them that if they wanted to see change then stop councils from shipping our waste to those countries.... and help developing nations to be more ethical in their manufacturing processes by sharing technologies.
Aug 2021
8:39am, 24 Aug 2021
8,874 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
I've been trying to find a brand of toothpaste to replace my usual brand that comes in plastic tubes. I've tried a few but as well as being more expensive, they haven't been as good - less foamy, less minty and not leaving my mouth feeling clean. Any suggestions ?
Aug 2021
8:59am, 24 Aug 2021
27,344 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
the foamy and minty bit is just us humans liking it and makes no difference to the actual job it does!
Lush do tooth paste powder
Aug 2021
9:03am, 24 Aug 2021
3,323 posts
  •  
jacdaw
I use Weleda salt toothpaste in an old school metal tube... but it certainly isn't foamy (foamy is good??), tastes of salt and natural mint oil, and is probably a bit expensive. But it has no sweeteners and no fluoride.

I haven't tried any of the plastic free tablet type things. I like to control the dose!
Aug 2021
9:19am, 24 Aug 2021
2,563 posts
  •  
JRitchie
I’ve tried chewable toothpastes - however since a problem with a compacted tooth I’m back on tubes as I can’t get the right sensitive formula in chewable format.
Aug 2021
12:16pm, 24 Aug 2021
5,594 posts
  •  
TheScribbler
I seem to be super sensitive to toothpaste and get terrible mouth ulcers if I change brands. I’ve tried a couple of the tablet types but just can’t get on with them.
Aug 2021
12:36pm, 24 Aug 2021
78,606 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I haven't found a natural tooth paste that comes in a non objectionable packaging so I use Dr Bronner. At least the packaging to paste ratio is huge! As in a lot of paste for little packaging. One tube lasys me AGES ...
Aug 2021
8:06pm, 24 Aug 2021
7,922 posts
  •  
TeeBee
I use Dentabs they are small pills that you crush with your teeth and they turn a paste with you saliva. They have fluoride in them.
Aug 2021
8:08pm, 24 Aug 2021
7,923 posts
  •  
TeeBee
My supplier send them in cardboard boxes and a fior the first time in a small glad jar. I've also seen them sold loose in the local refill shop.
Aug 2021
8:19pm, 24 Aug 2021
78,620 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I do not want fluoride or any other carcinogenic ingredients for that matter. Why I don't mind non foaming toothpaste. What makes it foam isn't exactly good for you!

About This Thread

Maintained by run free
Information about Plastic Packaging:
UK: wrap.org.uk

EU: ec.europa.eu

What products have microbeads?
beatthemicrobead.org

To help you reduce try one level at a time:https://tyrelady.wordpress.com/support-the-challenges/

What the EU is doing:
europa.eu

- currently the UK will be following SOME of the EU measures.
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

Terms used to describe plastic:
1. Biodegradable (also oxi-biodegradable)
2. Bioplastic
3. Compostable
4. Plastic that potentially could be recycled (has numbers)
5. Plastic that cannot be recycled

Some resources:
BBC's info on the numbers on Plastics:
news.bbc.co.uk

The misconceptions of biodegradable plastics from an academic:
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acs.est.7b04051?src=recsys&

Understanding plastic terms:
wrap.org.uk

Bioplastic developments as seen by British Plastic

britishplastics.co.uk