Possible trail shoe disaster

1 watcher
Oct 2013
1:22pm, 29 Oct 2013
4,860 posts
  •  
Iris
I usually buy dead cheap Adidas Kanadias off the internet but I decided to treat myself to some tidy trail shoes. I run in Asics Kayanos, size 7 so I went to my local shop, tried loads of trail shoes on and settled on some Goretex Asics also in a size 7. There was the traditional thumb length between toe and shoe and they felt fine in the shop.
I wore them for my long run on Sunday and the left one really hurt my toe, but not my big toe. It feels like the shoe's too small although it can't be. Is there anyway I can stretch them or will they give? I think the goretex might mean they won't stretch. I can't take them back as they are caked in mud after 10 miles of trails. What can I do? I can't afford to replace as they were pretty pricey. I wanted to wear them for Seagrave a week on Saturday but I don't think that's wise. I could try thinner socks but other than that have I just made an expensive mistake?
Oct 2013
1:25pm, 29 Oct 2013
800 posts
  •  
mushroom
Trim your nails?

File the end of your toe..?

Give them another run out - they might have stretched a bit after the first time.
Oct 2013
1:26pm, 29 Oct 2013
4,861 posts
  •  
Iris
Nails are fine. Toe amputation could be the answer. I'm not trail running until Seagrave now. I suppose I could try them on the road for a short run. They are so pretty too.
Oct 2013
1:29pm, 29 Oct 2013
1,057 posts
  •  
RunningInCircles
Lace lock? Open Laces at the toe?
blog.altrazerodrop.com
Oct 2013
1:41pm, 29 Oct 2013
21,273 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
A couple of my trail shoes were like that. Got better after 3 or 400 miles. Seriously. Also, if the pressure on toes is when going steeply downhill, then I find *tightening* laces actually helps. That is, to prevent foot moving about in shoe and maintaining foot in a position away from the toe box. It's so annoying when you change shoes and you don't find problems until you are out on a run. I've had to give shoes away that I didn't get on with. Roclite 315s (which everyone loves) just mashed my toes.

Good luck. :-)G
Oct 2013
1:51pm, 29 Oct 2013
727 posts
  •  
DuncanG
If you got them from Sweatshop, you can take them back filthy.
Oct 2013
2:08pm, 29 Oct 2013
4,862 posts
  •  
Iris
I suppose it would be morally questionable to go to Sweatshop, buy a pair then take the existing pair back to them and the new pair back to my local shop wouldn't it?
Oct 2013
2:10pm, 29 Oct 2013
5,605 posts
  •  
lammo
yes.
Oct 2013
2:17pm, 29 Oct 2013
2,828 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Timpsons will stretch shoes & might advise on whether they would or not.
And yes.
Oct 2013
2:18pm, 29 Oct 2013
4,863 posts
  •  
Iris
Not to mention a huge pain in the arse as there isn't a Sweatshop near me anyway.

About This Thread

Maintained by Iris
I usually buy dead cheap Adidas Kanadias off the internet but I decided to treat myself to some tidy...