Phone only works when held in my hand or resting on my thigh???

6 watchers
Jun 2022
11:05am, 20 Jun 2022
90,290 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I am EMF sensitive... I know, I didn't really believe in it either but now I do as, without EMF emitting stuff, my debilitating symptoms are gone.
I have to use a laptop or smartphone though, just to be able to.participate in daily tasks like filing my Confirmation Statement.
So, I try not to have an emf emitting device actually on my body but I do not seem to be able to use my Motorola G8 without either holding it or resting it on my thigh? It seems to need "grounding" through my body for the touch screen to work? I would prefer to lay it down on the table so I have less physical contact.
Just typing this causes my legt arm to go tingly and numb and I have shoots of pain travelling from my hand into my arm.

Any thoughts?
I should be able to use the phone like a small tablet, right?
Jun 2022
11:14am, 20 Jun 2022
70,752 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Yes.
Jun 2022
11:37am, 20 Jun 2022
22,026 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Do you have "On body detection" on?

You can keep your phone unlocked while you’re holding it in your hand or carrying it in your pocket or handbag.

Just unlock it once, and it stays unlocked until you set it down (or manually lock it).
1. Make sure you have set a screen lock.
2. Go to Settings.
3. Touch Security & location > Smart Lock.

If you don't see Smart Lock, try the following:

•Update Google Play services. In the Google Search widget on your home screen, search for “Google Play services”, then touch the app to open it.
•Go to Settings > Security & location > Advanced > Trust agents and enable Smart Lock.

4. Unlock your phone, then touch On-body detection.
5. Turn it on.

Or in your case, turn it off.
Jun 2022
11:47am, 20 Jun 2022
18,098 posts
  •  
larkim
I've got a G7 and it works fine without being grounded by me. There shouldn't be a need to ground a phone for a touchscreen to work.
Jun 2022
1:47pm, 20 Jun 2022
90,293 posts
  •  
Hanneke
DG, that could be the reason... Let me investigate...
Jun 2022
1:50pm, 20 Jun 2022
90,294 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Smart lock is off...

It is very odd!

Larkim, I agree, I should be able to put the phone on a table or on my chair arm rest or something...
Jun 2022
8:55pm, 22 Jun 2022
24,911 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Any thoughts?
Jun 2022
9:23pm, 22 Jun 2022
90,370 posts
  •  
Hanneke
No answers to this conundrum then!
I tried putting it on the cat, but it wouldn't work...
Jun 2022
3:46pm, 23 Jun 2022
39,257 posts
  •  
Purps
Is this the same with all phones? Have you thought of taking it to a shop and seeing if it is the same with other people? Is it a fault with the phone itself? How old is the phone?
Jun 2022
3:53pm, 23 Jun 2022
90,389 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I don't know, I only have one phone... It is quite new: bought in May 2020. It didn't come from a shop... It isn't the phone I don't think? It works perfectly fine when I hold it in my left hand... Which is now so painful, after using it for about an hour, I have to put it down and away...

About This Thread

Maintained by Hanneke
I am EMF sensitive... I know, I didn't really believe in it either but now I do as, without EMF emitting stuff, my debilitating symptoms are gone.
I have to use a laptop or smartphone though, just to be able to.participate in daily tasks like filing my Confirmation Statement.
So, I try not to have an emf emitting device actually on my body but I do not seem to be able to use my Motorola G8 without either holding it or resting it on my thigh? It seems to need "grounding" through my body fo...