•  
D2
It was an amazing moon last night!
Aug 2020
2:29pm, 4 Aug 2020
2,668 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
It was a Sturgeon moon according to folklore. Although we were out last night and didn't see Nichola anywhere. A little cold this morning though.
D2
Aug 2020
3:22pm, 4 Aug 2020
11,786 posts
  •  
D2
I watched it rise over the cliff face opposite me, it seems to rise so fast when seen against a land mass like that. I took photos and from it first appearing to fully visible was only about 2 minutes!! Weird/Imressive! :0 I shall look up that folklore Fr
rhb
Aug 2020
8:41pm, 4 Aug 2020
1,453 posts
  •  
rhb

rhb
Aug 2020
8:42pm, 4 Aug 2020
1,454 posts
  •  
rhb
The moon was amazing, as was the inversion I saw at 5am.
rhb
Aug 2020
8:47pm, 4 Aug 2020
1,455 posts
  •  
rhb
I went plogging from Castleton - Back Tor - Lose Hill - Castleton this eve. I'd seen so many abandoned dog sh!t bags and baby wipes along the ridge last night :(

Peak Mountaineering will lend gloves, a picker, & black bag for anyone wanting to do similar.

peakmountaineering.com

peakmountaineering.com
Aug 2020
8:53pm, 4 Aug 2020
2,669 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
We brought several sacks of rubbish off the fell when we came down this morning. It's got a lot worse since lockdown eased.

You haven't lived if you haven't walked or run or swim in the Peak by the light of a full moon.

We just slept under a blanket. Can't beat it...
Aug 2020
8:58pm, 4 Aug 2020
13,767 posts
  •  
Homer
Good stuff peak mountaineering.

I've been seeing lots of folk in the hills that might not normally be there so I kind of understand how things have changed.

Peak district trail running is becoming my new fav thing
rhb
Aug 2020
9:34pm, 4 Aug 2020
1,456 posts
  •  
rhb
@Fellrunning "We just slept under a blanket. Can't beat it..."

It felt about 4 deg at 5am, my bag (Softie Kilo with silk liner was just warm enough and my cape kept most the breeze off, plus I was on the sheltered side of hill when settled down for the night... where were you pitched & what magic blanket are you using? Phd?
Aug 2020
11:27pm, 4 Aug 2020
2,670 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
I had it at 5.3 where we were. That's according to the camera trap so you might be right that it was colder. It was certainly a night for pulling your woolly hat down over your ears.

We were at the sheepfold on the valley side of Green Clough. It's one of our regular observing spots (nice dark skies). We have a shelter of sorts there. It's cosy enough if we cut some bracken and the dogs all squeeze in with us.

Oh and we had a nice bottle of Caol Ila to keep it even cosier

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Seeing the success of the Lake District thread, I thought I'd start one for the Peak District. ...