Peak District Squadron

44 watchers
Jul 2017
11:28am, 25 Jul 2017
18,528 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Seeing the success of the Lake District thread, I thought I'd start one for the Peak District. Despite spending quite a bit of time on the Derbyshire/Notts border, surprisingly I made my first proper visit this weekend. The boy and I went camping with another dad and lad, and we walked the trail from Dovedale to Milldale and back. I loved it! I've persuaded Katie that we should try a few days there in August, so we're staying in Cromford, and wondering where else we should walk / run / visit.

All suggestions welcome :-)

I also found this very pretty rock on our walk (which was part of a larger rock, but I bashed it open). The current theory is that it's calcite:

Jul 2017
12:20pm, 25 Jul 2017
789 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
The list is endless Fetch but from Cromford the places that are immediately to hand for walking/running/biking are the High Peak Trail along the old railway (links up with the Tissington trail at Parsley Hay and in total gives you 30-40 miles of good peaceful running/biking - there is parking and bike hire at Middleton Top above the initial steep inclines from the canal) and Carsington Water (good 12km trail round the reservoir). If you have the lad with you Black Rocks just off the High Peak Trail at the top of Cromford Hill is a good spot for exploring. Quite a bit of stuff to see in Cromford itself around Arkwright's Mills and Scarthin Bookshop is an absolute must, a real treasure trove. A bit further a field the Monsal Trail is good, particularly the section north of Monsal Head and for a slightly wilder but easy to follow run try Froggatt/Curbar/Baslow or Burbage Edges (numerous access/car parking spots but the NT at Longshaw is a good starting point). Hope that helps.
Jul 2017
12:23pm, 25 Jul 2017
18,529 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Thank you - that's useful. I saw Scarthin Books across the water on our route to the campsite at the weekend - I'll be very happy to have a nosey round there. And I've heard good things about the Monsal Trail too. We're very excited :-)
Jul 2017
12:29pm, 25 Jul 2017
6,706 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
This is where we are thinking of going for our next holiday probably in the autumn. We won't be camping though as we will have the dog with us and she won't be a good campsite companion.......
Jul 2017
12:45pm, 25 Jul 2017
36,835 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
I'm going to the Peak District using my YHS prize from Christmas :-)
I shall watch this thread with interest.
Jul 2017
1:01pm, 25 Jul 2017
7,064 posts
  •  
KatieB
Lol @ persuaded.

Him: Shall we go to a cottage in the Peak District?

Me: Yes! I love that idea.
Jul 2017
1:12pm, 25 Jul 2017
30,231 posts
  •  
McGoohan
*Starts: 'anyone like that bit of wasteland near the trading estate in Crawley?' thread*
Jul 2017
1:20pm, 25 Jul 2017
30,232 posts
  •  
McGoohan
(Which looks very churlish written down: I love the Peak District :-))
Jul 2017
1:25pm, 25 Jul 2017
18,530 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
(s'ok, it would be a great thread :-) )
Jul 2017
1:26pm, 25 Jul 2017
18,531 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
We've got some way to go to overcome those Lake District types, with their 22 watchers. #districtdeathmatch

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Seeing the success of the Lake District thread, I thought I'd start one for the Peak District. ...