parkrun vs Olympics - which has had a greater positive impact to UK sport?

6 watchers
Apr 2016
10:58am, 12 Apr 2016
7,148 posts
  •  
Binks
Was an interesting comment on this story about a Bristol council wanting to charge for parkrun to use a park.

bbc.co.uk

This is their statement.

stokegifford.org.uk

What do you think?
Apr 2016
11:14am, 12 Apr 2016
1,925 posts
  •  
Pedro_Perez
parkrun definitely, I read that comment and thought it was a great point.

parkrun becomes part of life, it is pure grass routes and weekly, the olympics is a BIG show for big corporations to piggy back off the back of.

I love the Olympics but it didnt change my life, parkrun did and continues to do so.
Apr 2016
11:19am, 12 Apr 2016
3,274 posts
  •  
Nicholls595
I loved watching the Olympics in 2012. No doubt I will be glued to the TV again in August. But in terms of legacy, nothing at all round these parts. We didn't see a large influx of new runners at our club either. Park Run on the other hand provides a great way into (or back into) sport for thousands of people. Park Run continues to grow, long may it prosper.
Apr 2016
11:25am, 12 Apr 2016
368 posts
  •  
Uyuni
In terms of elite sport the Olympic facilities have been a great boon to a very small area of East London. In terms of the general health and well-being of the nation the Olympics had zero effect - parkrun on the other hand .....
Apr 2016
11:27am, 12 Apr 2016
10,826 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
Ah yes, the cult of Parkrun. Perhaps funds could be diverted from the NHS to support the infrastructure?
Apr 2016
11:53am, 12 Apr 2016
8,690 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I think the council will back down. The parkrun organisation has been unequivocal, it would end the parkrun, it HAS to be for free (otherwise it sets a dangerous precedent for other parkruns and councils/organisations seeking to make money and piggyback off such an event ). The Council will then be considering does it want to end the parkrun there and face the storm of bad media and lost votes it will face. They might bluff and think "ah the runners will pay for it", but they're stupid if they do.

The Olympics "legacy" wise has been a complete waste of time, with the forthcoming privatisation of council owned sports facilities across the SW, and closure of the less "sexy" ones.
Apr 2016
11:59am, 12 Apr 2016
4,009 posts
  •  
Jono.
I have definatley seen a rise in people running, cycling since 2012 - whether its just down to the Olympics or whether the overall message of a healthier lifestyle is getting through to people I don't know.

And don't forget that when they're measuring sports participation they only do it with people who belong to clubs.
Apr 2016
12:24pm, 12 Apr 2016
11,403 posts
  •  
Ultracat
What happens to all the money Parkrun gets from its sponsors?

I am all in favour of Parkrun but I suspect than other users of the park are inconvenienced when Parkrun is taking place.
Apr 2016
12:24pm, 12 Apr 2016
25,479 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Can I just say the "I want to be Jess Ennis" effect seems to have been very beneficial for lots of young girls running in our club. So I think having some sporting heroes is of value in promoting athletics and the Olympics is a great platform for it (among the Worlds, Europeans, Commonwealth Games etc.) And television and other media help to create those heroes.

But I fully support parkrun (run it, volunteer at it and have helped with setup of a few too), think it's been a great initiative and that it's doing a great job, week in, around the country and around the world.

Councils definitely shouldn't be charging for use of parks for healthy activity. If anything, they should be subsidising or at least actively supporting parkrun. :-) G
Apr 2016
12:30pm, 12 Apr 2016
25,480 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
But more importantly "...unfair to expect the resident's to pay." APOSTROPHE CRIME! :-O

About This Thread

Maintained by Binks
Was an interesting comment on this story about a Bristol council wanting to charge for parkrun to us...