Overtraining?

4 watchers
Feb 2016
8:34pm, 10 Feb 2016
27 posts
  •  
kt_m_white
For a few months I've really struggled with running at any kind of speed. Any attempts I've made at intervals, tempo runs and races have ended up with an average pace at least a minute/mile slower than what I used to run at, but have felt harder. I've never really looked at my heart rate while running but have been wearing a heart rate monitor while running since I brought a new Garmin. Looking back at it now it does look like my heart rate is now a lot higher (20-30bmp) than it used to be, even on easy runs. But I don't think my resting heart rate has really changed. Could this be caused by overtraining?
Feb 2016
10:30pm, 10 Feb 2016
1,723 posts
  •  
Canute
Over-training can result in abnormally high HR but paradoxically ,sometimes it results in an abnormally low HR during intense effort. In itself HR is not a reliable guide to over-training. How you feel is often a better guide. If you have been struggling to achieve previous performance levels despite a high training volume that includes quite a lot of intense sessions, over-training is certainly possible. You need to weigh up all the evidence relevant to health and fitness.
Feb 2016
5:51pm, 11 Feb 2016
28 posts
  •  
kt_m_white
Thanks for the response. I've tried finding out more about overtraining and their doesn't seem to be very well defined. As generally I feel fine I don't know if I need to be trying to increase the intensity of my training or taking a break.
Feb 2016
11:10am, 13 Feb 2016
1,724 posts
  •  
Canute
On a quick perusal of your training, two things struck me. First, there was dramatic decrease on training volume last Oct and November followed by a sudden increase back to your former high level in December. If the decrease was due to illness or injury, the sudden return to high volume might have been too rapid. Secondly, you do a lot of quite intense training, and even your easy runs are at a moderate pace. On balance, I think it might be better to assess the effect of cutting down volume for a few weeks rather than increase intensity. Good luck
SJA
9 Mar
2:21pm, 9 Mar 2024
157 posts
  •  
SJA
The wee beastie I know this is an old thread but I am going through similar at the moment 10 weeks into marathon training. Feel fine overall but heartrate too high on runs the last couple of weeks. On easy runs it seems to easy to jump 10bpm for only slightly more effort.

Looking at your mileage and times you seemed to get over it okay. Did you do anything in particular or did it sort itself out?
10 Mar
9:24am, 10 Mar 2024
95 posts
  •  
The wee beastie
SJA, for me it turned out that I was very anaemic and once I started taking iron I saw a big improvement so it might be worth getting tested for that. Now I still have to keep an eye on my nutrition and weight so that I can maintain the miles that I want to run. I'm also still taking ferrous sulphate tablets as without them I start having problems again
SJA
10 Mar
10:17am, 10 Mar 2024
158 posts
  •  
SJA
Thank you so much for the reply. Really helpful. I will see if I can get checked out but it probably won't harm to take some iron tabs on the mean time.
10 Mar
6:04pm, 10 Mar 2024
96 posts
  •  
The wee beastie
The ones you can buy off the shelf have a very small amount of iron in them but you can buy the prescription strength ones, 200 mg, if you ask the pharmacist.
SJA
17 Mar
7:35pm, 17 Mar 2024
173 posts
  •  
SJA
Well iron tested and all okay so may just be a bit of overdoing it. Decent half marathon PB today but HR was probably about 10bpm higher than it should have been.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by The wee beastie
For a few months I've really struggled with running at any kind of speed. Any attempts I've made a...