Numb Toes / Shoe Advice

2 watchers
Apr 2018
11:23am, 18 Apr 2018
126 posts
  •  
Weath
Hi all,

Having become a recent convert to trying my hand (feet) at marathons; I seem to be experiencing a problem with a numb sensation in the later miles that develops in the centre of my right foot that gradually extends out to give me numb toes.

Having done a bit of Googling and self-diagnosing I would guess that this is likely to be Morton's neuroma, although on reading others descriptions of this issue it seems that this tends to appear quite early on in a run at a low mileage, whereas I only seem to vaguely notice it from around mile 17/18 with it developing into an issue after that - hence I don't experience it particular often with my typical training mileage. When I have, it has been in the later stages of marathon training when I have no intention of swapping shoes (currently retiring a pair of Asics Cumulus 17 - with a new pair of 18's ready for action)

I first noticed issues on my marathon debut in Manchester last year but just put it down to 26.2 'inexperience', however having now had a second year of good winter training and it massively impacting on my Boston run at the weekend, I think there may be some underlying cause.

As I say - I only notice it at the higher end of the long runs and have absolutely no issue with anything 13.1 and under.

For background: Neutral gait, size 11 (with very high arches). Had no general problems with number of Asics previously owned (Nimbus/Cumulus) but I didn't get on particularly well with some Mizuno wave Sayonaras that disintegrated at very low mileage.

So,
a. Would others agree that this may be symptomatic of Morton's?
b. Are Asics the footwear of the devil for this condition as I have seen commented on elsewhere? I intend to try a different lacing pattern to free up some toebox space on my new Cumulus 18's to see if that improves things in the short-term.
e. Are there any insole type things that may help?
d. Any recommendations for particular shoes that may alleviate this problem, I have seen mention of Brooks Ghosts?

I'll probably stick with the Cumulus for the immediate time being - but obviously already planning ahead for a 2019 spring mara.

Any other comments more than appreciated - thanks.
Apr 2018
11:25am, 18 Apr 2018
7,008 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Mine was due to the laces on the toe end being too tight and needing a wider larger fit. I got away with it on shorter distances. Hope whatever it is, it isn’t serious
Apr 2018
11:26am, 18 Apr 2018
7,009 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Ps and yes I moved to ghosts a full two sizes larger than my work shoes!
Apr 2018
11:30am, 18 Apr 2018
127 posts
  •  
Weath
Oooh interesting confirmation about the Ghosts. Thanks for that! :)
Apr 2018
11:36am, 18 Apr 2018
12,214 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Tight laces here too - I need to have mine a bit looser across the top of my foot but keep them tight at the point where I the them. I buy shoes 1.5 sizes bigger at least than street size.
Apr 2018
11:43am, 18 Apr 2018
4,085 posts
  •  
minardi
You need shoes with a wide toe box and also relace your shoes so the pair of holes nearest the front stay empty. (I've had one Morton's neuroma removed but now have another one!)
Apr 2018
11:59am, 18 Apr 2018
32,736 posts
  •  
alpenrose
Maybe check out the socks as well as the shoes. Might be worth going to a reputable running shop to get the right shoes. I'm not a marathon runner but wear Brookes Ghosts with a wide fit and 2 sizes bigger than my shoe size.
Apr 2018
1:46pm, 18 Apr 2018
128 posts
  •  
Weath
A quick question about socks then ...

In this case would a more 'cushioned' sock (the obvious type for longer time on feet) make the problem worse, due to potential constriction from additional padding?
Apr 2018
2:31pm, 18 Apr 2018
15,875 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Yes. I have a pair of shoes just now where wearing thicker socks causes very noticeable (and sometimes uncomfortable) constriction. So (to go on and state the obvious) you need shoes with plenty of room for your feet and your socks.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Weath
Hi all,

Having become a recent convert to trying my hand (feet) at marathons; I seem to be experi...