Broken ankle - advice please (physio's, runners, those who've had a break)

3 watchers
Apr 2019
3:29am, 3 Apr 2019
261 posts
  •  
Brandon
Your advice needed please.
I broke my ankle 2nd January. A clean break of the fibula, no surgery, as it stayed in place. I wore a moonboot for 6 weeks – all OK. Then met with a physio a couple of times and I’m still doing the exercises and recently a little bit on the bike in the garage (on a trainer). I have no pain or discomfort but can tell, when I turn my foot, that it still not quite there but coming along OK. After my last visit to the physio, he said call me in a few weeks and tell me how you are going. I called him this morning and when I asked if I could start some jogging – he said, oh no, not with your history, you need to give it 12 months!! I’m lost for words. (I twisted the same ankle quite badly 18 months ago – dong the same action – coming down a steep trail and it rolled out however these are the only two occasions it’s happened). It’s taken some time for me to accept that trail running will be risky for me (trail running is my preference) but I can’t believe that I can’t start running for 12 months. He originally told me to forget about running until after Easter, which made sense at the time.
Has anyone had a similar break and what was your time frame to return to running? This just doesn’t stack up against all other experiences I’ve read on running forums. I’m planning to return to the roads, not trails.
Apr 2019
7:23am, 3 Apr 2019
21,581 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Hi Brandon, thankfully I’ve no similar experience to report, but I just wanted to give this thread a bump, and to wish you good luck. I hope you get some good advice.
Apr 2019
7:26am, 3 Apr 2019
20,001 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
I think you need to see a physio who understands sport and can give you a structured rehab programme with realistic goals and time frames.
Apr 2019
1:15pm, 3 Apr 2019
26,229 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
No knowledge here either, but what Lizzie says sounds like decent advice. Good luck!
um
Apr 2019
1:50pm, 3 Apr 2019
846 posts
  •  
um
As Lizzie said ...
My experience with a 'hospital physio' (not for a broken ankle) was that he related 'running' to a run for a bus or similar - the concept of 10+ miles was unknown to him.
Find a sports physio (ideally a runner type) - or check with local runners/clubs if they have recommendations. That's how I found my current excellent physio (although she's a cyclist & tri-athlete rather than pure runner)

Good luck (and as a non medic, 12 months seems far too cautious)
Apr 2019
2:00pm, 3 Apr 2019
66,647 posts
  •  
Gobi
Broken both bones in my left leg just above the ankle, degeneration in my ankle joint and was back easy running after 3 months.

Granted day on day off for a month then 2 days on day off.

Has been 7 years and no further issues while running 30 or so miles a week.
May 2019
3:22am, 1 May 2019
267 posts
  •  
Brandon
An update, in case anyone else searches for similar conversations. I went to a different physio in April, who asked more questions and spent far more time assessing my ankle, range of movement, etc. He said, I was good to start running again, slowly build up and plenty of ankle exercises (as all runners should). To date this is going well and on track with no problems :)
um
May 2019
8:37am, 1 May 2019
894 posts
  •  
um
Sounds good - slow & careful, but better than a year out.
May 2019
10:26am, 1 May 2019
20,241 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
Excellent news.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Brandon
Your advice needed please.
I broke my ankle 2nd January. A clean break of the fibula, no surgery, ...