•  
RooA
How many typos? Sorry!
Jun 2022
2:23pm, 23 Jun 2022
1,882 posts
  •  
RooA
Yes, SPR has the question re. Joker recommendations.
Jun 2022
2:35pm, 23 Jun 2022
17,376 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
If you want Daniels paces, then this is useful: runsmartproject.com
Jun 2022
2:36pm, 23 Jun 2022
2,245 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
Coming back to the OP, I don't see it's intrinsically a problem to be doing VO2max intervals slightly slower than 5km pace (or corresponding pace for longer intervals).

It's about understanding the purpose of intervals, and training overall. The aim is to stimulate physiological adaptations, whilst not pushing so hard you extend required recovery time unnecessarily.

You can run a very fast 5km and pretty much put yourself in a box. You could mimic that pace over shorter intervals and still take a lot out of yourself and require several days recovery. Or you could do them slightly slower, still largely stimulate the same improvements, but be in a position to train hard again a day or two sooner. You may get fractionally less response to one session, but a better aggregated response over time.

It's really about optimising the balance between stimulation and recovery, not just rehearsing a race in short form.
SPR
Jun 2022
2:45pm, 23 Jun 2022
37,096 posts
  •  
SPR
Agree MM.

I don't think just because a session can be done doesn't mean it should be.
Jun 2022
2:47pm, 23 Jun 2022
17,378 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
MM - but that doens't quite make sense to me - if you can run a 5km at a pace, then running slower *won't* stimulate the physiological adaptations - you've already done it.

That's the point at working at faster than 5k pace (hence why I don't agree with P&D) as far as I can see

It's not about the post-session recovery - that's about how overall trained you are. It's about the recoveries *within* the session.

If you are untrained, then you shouldn't be doing more than one fast session per week anyway. (and there's an argument to be had that you shouldn't be doing one in any case and instead concentrating on volume).
Jun 2022
2:49pm, 23 Jun 2022
1,883 posts
  •  
RooA
I did consider that, as Project Joker also calls for a tempo run in a week that perhaps the interval paces were slower than I would expect in order to "save" (maybe) training effort for the tempo run too and that the overall benefit would be greater for it. But I'm not sure if running at Joker pace for intervals would feel like I was actually doing much at all? Perhaps I should try it next week.
Jun 2022
2:51pm, 23 Jun 2022
17,379 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Whatever you decide to do Roo, stick with it for a block of time (I reckon 8-10 weeks consistent training to see benefits), before making changes.

Within reason of course - don't get injured.
SPR
Jun 2022
2:51pm, 23 Jun 2022
37,097 posts
  •  
SPR
The point is how much difference does it actually make?

VO2 Max isn't actually all that important as something to train IMO anyway.
SPR
Jun 2022
2:52pm, 23 Jun 2022
37,098 posts
  •  
SPR
"The point is how much difference does it actually make?"

As in 5k pace Vs a little slower.

About This Thread

Maintained by RooA
I'm a bit confused about what pace I should be running intervals at.

I always thought it was "as fast as possible while making the last interval as fast as the first". I did that today and felt awesome about it. Even did the last interval a few seconds faster than the first so wasn't flagging at all.

But I've just put my recent 5k into Project Joker and it gives me a pace for intervals much slower than that.

For reference.

5K time - 24m10s.
Recommended time for 80...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.