Insomnia?

14 watchers
Apr 2020
2:12am, 10 Apr 2020
93 posts
  •  
CreatureOfTheHill
Listened to that podcast.

Some stuff we already do, no naps, set wake tine etc... Other stuff, well impractical moving about the house disturbing others.
Equally, quite a lot about anxiety around sleeping or frustration about not getting to sleep. We do not really have that. There is an acceptance that some nights we will not sleep, we do not get stressed about it. After about 3 or 4 nights, we will pretty much normally get a regular nights sleep and reset. Knowing that it is not a permanent state makes it something to not worry about.
Apr 2020
6:30am, 10 Apr 2020
1,551 posts
  •  
bonners
Terrible insomnia here, tried just about every solution but nothing seems to work. As my anxiety levels peak so does the lack of sleep. I try and just ride it out but can have the odd really panicky night, like last night.

I used to ban all electrical devices beyond a certain time, but that had little effect so I don't bother now. At least fetch can keep me company in the wee small hours.
Apr 2020
7:43am, 10 Apr 2020
451 posts
  •  
BarefootEm
I'm still struggling, last night seemed a little better, I think, although I was still up between 02:30 and about 05:00... I also tried banking electrical devices, but often find if I pay a simple game that doesn't require much thought my eyes can get tired and heavy and that can help me get back off..

The link with anxiety is such a viscous circle, because being tired makes that worse... But it keeps me awake at night! And the dull, throbbing headache all the time didn't help 😞
Apr 2020
10:55am, 13 Apr 2020
112 posts
  •  
CreatureOfTheHill
Up again this morning about 3:30, which does seem the usual time. Second time in recent times where we could tell what we had been dreaming about. Not nightmares, which caused the waking, which we are pretty sure was some external factor (thirst/toilet/heat/noise) as it is still consistent with other awakenings. However, the were possibly distress/trauma biased, without describing they directly relate to what is going on here at the moment. We do not place a huge amount of stock in bothering to interpret them, but it does seem to be indicative of the fact that we are still processing a lot of stuff.

Classic busy mind.

BarefootEm - We find sometimes that our headaches, and our wife's are muscular. Tension carried. Massage can really help.Best with a partner, but you can manage some on the self. Just sitting up to self-stretch on the edge of the bed can be enough to help tip the balance at times. Pocket stretch works quite well for us, a bit like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zussifitF8A
Apr 2020
9:58pm, 30 Apr 2020
2,924 posts
  •  
12barDavid
I didn’t know this forum existed. Glad I chanced upon it.

I’ve had tinnitus for years, but over the last, 3 or 4 years, it’s been chronic. It keeps me awake at night & if I have 3 or 4 bad nights in a row, which is often, come day 4 or 5, I’m wandering around in the daytime like a zombie.

About 3 years ago, I had an appointment at the Royal Sussex County Hospital Audiology department, every six weeks for 18 months. The audiologist came up at every appointment with different methods of trying to help me, but alas, none of them worked. In the end, she told me to see my G.P. & get her to prescribe sleeping tablets for me.

My G.P. was very loath to prescribe sleeping tablets as she said they were very addictive. In the end, she gave me a prescription for a packet of 20 & said that’s it, no more. I haven’t taken any yet, but I’m going to have to soon, just to try & get a good nights sleep.
Anybody out in Fetchland got any thoughts or experiences of taking sleeping tablets. I see reading back that one or two people have taken them.

During the day, I don’t hear the tinnitus because I have a setting on my hearing aids that sounds like waves washing up on the seashore. This counteracts my tinnitus. The only trouble is, I can’t wear my hearing aids in bed at night. They are the biggest the good old N.H.S. provide & are obviously very uncomfortable when I roll over on my side.

I have been referred for a cochlear implant, which I have been told may help my tinnitus, but in today’s troubled world, I would think my assessment will be a long way off.

Oh dear, I have rambled on.
Apr 2020
10:05pm, 30 Apr 2020
1,571 posts
  •  
bonners
I have sleeping tablets and insomnia in equal measure. When I was dealing with the mental health issues that were keeping me awake they were really useful for a few days to get me back into a routine. However, they will only work as a short term fix. I did get another prescription recently, but they are sat there waiting for use. I can't see me getting through the issues that are causing the chronic insomnia again any time soon. So all the tablets would achieve would be to give me a couple of nights of sleep. They don't solve the underlying issues.

At some point I will take one for a couple of nights just to see if I can get back on track, but I just don't feel mentally ready, so am going to put up with it for a while longer until I can begin to get coping mechanisms in place.
May 2020
6:37pm, 1 May 2020
589 posts
  •  
Jenelopy
12barDavid: I hope that you had a better nights sleep.

I've been awake since 3am, got up in the end at 5.

I think that I can either (1) sleep well and be chilled and unfocused in the day, or (2) be focused during the day and thinking of lots of things, but unable to switch off in the night. I'm tired enough to (thankfully) fall asleep fairly easily, but if I wake up any time after 3am I'll struggle/fail to get back to sleep.
May 2020
6:41pm, 1 May 2020
335 posts
  •  
CreatureOfTheHill
You beat us up by an hour :-o
Been a good week since a proper night, so this is a rough patch...

Hey ho.
Aug 2020
2:24am, 5 Aug 2020
347 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
Argh. Been awake since 1. Contemplating getting up and working on the to do list that’s whirring in my head 🙁
Aug 2020
8:23am, 5 Aug 2020
First-time poster!!
  •  
BLOCKED
[Removed by moderator]

About This Thread

Maintained by BarefootEm
Anyone else struggling to sleep at the moment?

I am not a great sleeper at the best of times, but...