Hybrid bikes vs mountain bikes

2 watchers
Apr 2012
7:17pm, 5 Apr 2012
5,864 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
I've googled a bit and the main difference seems to be that hybrids are lighter, their wheels bigger, tyres slicker and they come with all sorts of accessories that are useful for commuters. However, they also seem to be a fair bit more expensive than mountain bikes when bought second-hand.

If I bought a mountain bike, but changed the tyres and added all the bits I want (mudguards, rack for panniers, lights etc), would that mean I'd in effect have a heavier-than-normal hybrid bike with 26'' wheels?

My current (mountain) bike has been described as a "tank", so not sure whether other mountain bikes are lighter or not - it would be welcome if they were since I might have to carry it up stairs at times, but it's not the end of the world if my new bike isn't super-light as long as it makes cycling a little bit easier and doesn't take as much effort as it does on my current bike. I won't be going off-road, but mostly in town only.

I know next to nothing about bicycles, so simple answers appreciated - thanks! :-)
Apr 2012
7:23pm, 5 Apr 2012
12,349 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
There is no fixed definition of a hybrid bike, some are essentially road bikes with flat bars, some are much more chunky and essentially mountain bikes with slightly less aggressive tyres.

Putting slicks on a mountain bike is a sensible idea, particularly if you want to ride along tow paths or more rutted stuff. It needn't be heavier, good mountain bikes are very light.
If you want to put racks and mudguards on it, make sure it has the right eyelets to do this, many mountain bikes won't have them.

What is the bike for? Commuting? Touring? Getting about?
Apr 2012
7:27pm, 5 Apr 2012
5,865 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
Thanks, Johnny! Very useful tip about making sure I can put mudguards and a rack on. (I've bought a basket before, being told it would definitely fit all racks - but it didn't fit mine! :-o)

A mix of all three. Commuting and getting about, but maybe also going on holidays with, so needs to be able to carry my pannier bags.

I don't think I'd be buying what most of you would call a "good mountain bike" though - absolute upper limit would be £50, but I'd rather pay less.
Apr 2012
7:28pm, 5 Apr 2012
18,418 posts
  •  
ogee
I have hybrid tyres on my MTB and they give me what I need when i'm out & about.

allterraincycles.co.uk

Slick tyre on my unicycle though.
Apr 2012
7:28pm, 5 Apr 2012
5,866 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
Been looking at e.g. this one: gumtree.com
Apr 2012
7:29pm, 5 Apr 2012
5,867 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
Ta, ogee! Hadn't even realised there was such a thing as "hybrid tyres" - I just thought "slick" meant anything other than MTB. :-)
Apr 2012
7:42pm, 5 Apr 2012
12,350 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
That looks OK!
Its a very old bike, the frames on those early 90's bikes weren't really specific for road or MTB. They were all much the same and then just made with different bits for their different purposes.
Make sure it rides OK, and give the frame a good check over for any signs of crash damage that might have weakened it. See if you can take it to a bike shop if the seller will let you. At the very least, run your hand along all the tubes and feel for any ripples or warps.
Apr 2012
7:54pm, 5 Apr 2012
46 posts
  •  
Bikermouse
The wheels being smaller and the gears engineered for climbing trees may make your commute rather hard, slow and remain a lot of effort. A road bike, say hybrid or commuter bike mcould have larger diameter wheels - all depends on make and model, so woukld be an easier ride.
just something to think about.
Other things that make the riding hard are knackered chain and incorrect tyre pressure. Servicing the bike could add quite a bit onto your original £50.
Apr 2012
9:18pm, 5 Apr 2012
5,868 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
Thank you, Johnny and Bikermouse! Two different opinions there...

(And I'm getting rather worried about buying a bike when I know nothing about these things... :-o)
Apr 2012
9:21pm, 5 Apr 2012
886 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
If you are thinking of a multi-purpose bike for commuting a cyclo-cross might make a good option. Where's Hanneke these days?

About This Thread

Maintained by SpicedApple
I've googled a bit and the main difference seems to be that hybrids are lighter, their wheels bigge...