How far do you run, before taking on liquid/food?

4 watchers
Apr 2012
1:50pm, 10 Apr 2012
622 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Great help, as always on here, thanks! Will train for the 10 and then start to think about this stuff after that when upping to Half distance.

The Brill race was the first time I had seen anyone at a 10k with a gel, let alone a belt full of them. Maybe he was just being prepared though.
Apr 2012
1:50pm, 10 Apr 2012
524 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
I don't bother with either for 10miles or less, except if it's very warm (and even then water over the head more often than down the throat). For a half I'll take water with a few jelly babies at about 10-11 miles. Beyond a half, it very much depends on conditions and terrain.

I also don't take water from water stations in cold weather - if it's long enough to need water in winter I'll carry my own that should hopefully be at a drinkable temperature from my body heat when I need it.
Apr 2012
1:54pm, 10 Apr 2012
365 posts
  •  
Curly45
Those gel people *may* have been doing the race as part of a long run.

No fueling for me. I go up to 25 miles without any water etc., but tend to be out max 3:45, usually around 3-3:20 on really long runs (20 plus). I would think about something for racing that distance though, probably a touch of water. Depends on the weather. Water usually goes over my head ;)

I am dreadful with stuff in my stomach so I had to train myself out of energy drinks (which I did use when I first started). I found it was a lot easier than I thought it would be, its just a safety blanket in most cases. Never had a gel at all. I am fully hydrated when I go out though and usually stop once within the first few miles of an lsr for a pee ;)

Its a real "what works for you", finding that out takes trial and error but thats part of the training :)
Apr 2012
2:07pm, 10 Apr 2012
18,299 posts
  •  
Maclennane
I can do about 15 before I start really wanting water, and my best marathon was run on accepting a few jelly babies off the kids lining the route, but there have been 10Ks where I've been glad to see the water station, depends how fast you're going, and all sorts of physiological gubbins, I reckon.
Apr 2012
2:13pm, 10 Apr 2012
41,059 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Varied depending on hangovers, temperatuer and conditioniong for me
Fot yesterdays marathon I had a few mouthfuls of cereal and a crumpert for brekky
The during the race, three jelly beans, two slurps of Coke and about 200 ml water
It wasnt hot

Like Curly I have issues with energy drinks and tummy trouble
Apr 2012
2:14pm, 10 Apr 2012
41,060 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
I have a definite fuel switch thing after about 90 mins running, lightheadd and stuff, but it will go away eventually, even without fuel
Apr 2012
2:27pm, 10 Apr 2012
1,471 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
I must be a bit of a wimp compared to you lot. If I'm running more than 60 mins I'll take some water. And if I'm running more than 90 I'll take shot blox as well. LOL at Hipps and the hangover comment - that's my kind of runner :)
Apr 2012
2:28pm, 10 Apr 2012
41,061 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Susie
I do need sweet stuff if Im running with a hangover

Actually, I do foir a hangover full stop
Apr 2012
2:58pm, 10 Apr 2012
623 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
I would imagine I'd be drinking pints of water if hungover, and barely moving forwards as a result ;-)
Apr 2012
3:10pm, 10 Apr 2012
366 posts
  •  
Curly45
Running (not racing though) is the best cure I know for a hangover :)

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
At the risk of repeating myself from my blog, I have never run further than 10k in one go. This chan...