Sweating/Salt!

4 watchers
Jun 2013
9:48am, 28 Jun 2013
913 posts
  •  
Dirk
So I went for an hour run yesterday at about 7:50 pace with a mate and wasn't pushing to hard but did sweat quite a bit. By the time I'd finished the run I had dried salt down both sides of my face!!! It was quite a humid day but this doesn't normally happen (it has only happened once or twice in a half mara race). So of course I Googled it last night and there was lots of scaremongering about how this can be potentially dangerous because you are either under/over hydrated and drinking more water can be worse. Also mentioned that it could be a sign of a lack of sodium and that you should replace it quickly.

Has/Does anyone else have this happen to them? Should I be concerned? What do you do?

Thanks!

:-)
Jun 2013
9:50am, 28 Jun 2013
7,190 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
Sounds fairly normal , based on my own experience.
Jun 2013
10:04am, 28 Jun 2013
506 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Yep, pretty much any hot race day. Tim noakes reckons it just means you have too much sodium in your system, and homeostasis I'd just evening you out.
Jun 2013
10:21am, 28 Jun 2013
914 posts
  •  
Dirk
hmmm...didn't know who he was! Googled him now. He seems to have wrtten all about it! Does say it can be potentially serious though depending on how hyponotreamic you become. What would be good afterwards then do you reckon? doesn't sound like more water is any good....
Jun 2013
10:33am, 28 Jun 2013
659 posts
  •  
Craig_
I think it's to do with the fat layer/cells below the skin containing salt/sodium - when you sweat, it just brings a bit through the pores and when the sweat evaporates, it leaves the salt on the skin. It's pretty normal on long runs in hot weather - you may not be dripping in sweat so you may not notice the fluid loss but just keep hydrated as usual.

A good rule of thumb is, for up to a 10k you can drink just water - for a half-marathon add isotonic/electrolyte drink - for a marathon add energy gels, for a ultras add solid fuel (food).
Jun 2013
10:37am, 28 Jun 2013
1,287 posts
  •  
FreshStart
nuun.co.uk
Jun 2013
10:55am, 28 Jun 2013
507 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
From the little I know the homeostasis bit its the most important. Your body wouldn't give the salt if it couldn't afford to.
Jun 2013
10:58am, 28 Jun 2013
1,228 posts
  •  
wiener dog
I wear a dark blue cap to run in & it often gets a salt ring around the bottom of the brim - I have never had any issues from the loss of salt, I thought it was pretty normal.
Jun 2013
11:05am, 28 Jun 2013
356 posts
  •  
Roma
IMHO it would seem the important thing is how you re-hydrate after sweating, hence the hyponaetremic risk. I often have salty face, knees etc after a long run on a hot day. It's my excuse for a bag of crisps :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Dirk
So I went for an hour run yesterday at about 7:50 pace with a mate and wasn't pushing to hard but d...