How and why did you start running? [150 word challenge]
11:19am, 1 Oct 2019
swittleGreat result, Neal
11:30am, 1 Oct 2019
mulbsSlowly and without any grace or style and mostly hating it, until I found my pace. A friend asked me to run a new race that was starting - the Liverpool Women's 10k. Couldn't even run half a mile without thinking I was going to die at first, but one day realised it didn't get any worse after the first 5 mins, and then actually started enjoying it. Still run slowly and with no grace or style!
11:22pm, 23 Dec 2019
Tux4meI have absolutely no idea why.
Sat down one day and out of the blue said to my wife
"If I start now do you think I could run a marathon before I'm 60? (I'd just turned 58) - people 3 streets away probably heard her laughing! I'd done no excercise since leaving school.
Found C25K, discovered Parkrun, pulled a calf muscle, rested, building up again now.
I've surprised myself at how much I enjoy running.
11:50pm, 23 Dec 2019
ChrisHB1) No, you can't do woodwork instead of rugby, you must do cross-country running.
2) At the age of 18, free from the constraints of school, I decided I was going to run always and thus be healthier than most of my contemporaries. Little did I know then that I was simply a small part of a change in fashion.
3) When running became really popular and you could get books about it from the library, or magazines, I discovered that it was possible to train and become better.
4) With Fetch came a friendly competitive element - the training league / how many miles you could get from a pair of trainers / assorted games - and I fell for it.
About This Thread
- 10,000 blue circles (or will they be squares?) in 2023 Dec 2023
- Tracking Total Training Time Dec 2023
- 10,000 blue circles in 2022 Jan 2023
- 10,000 circles in 2021 Jan 2022
- Swim 52 miles in 2018 Jan 2019
- *swim* 52 miles in 2017 Jan 2018
- The hundred pressup challenge - anyone up for it? Apr 2017
- PB Attempt? Apr 2015
- 50 different beers in 2023 Dec 2023
- Ice pie. Dec 2023
Buy a Fetch buff
Order now for immediate dispatch!
Join us in 2024 for a part-virtual, part-gathering endurance event to celebrate 20 years of Fetcheveryone!
See all your training overlaid on one interactive map. A great way to remember everywhere you've been
Race Listings League
Which Fetchies have done the most to make our race listings as awesome as they are?