HELP washing machine not draining!

4 watchers
Feb 2022
7:32pm, 1 Feb 2022
85,250 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I hope the power of Fetch can come to my rescue!
I have a Zanussi Lindo 100 washing machine. It is about 5 years old and doesn't have a fluff filter.
It was running a cycle fine, until it got to the rinse, drain and spin, last part of the cycle. I happened to be standing next to it.
Two bleeps, E21 message.
I pressed the start button and it continued but fails to drain

I turned it off, then turned it to drain only. Initially, I thought the drum wasn't turning, as it clicks and tries.
I then tried the spin cycle. It turns the drum, but obviously, water isn't draining.
No filter to clean.
Drains aren't blocked, so unless something is blocked inside the machine, it has to be the pump.
I think this can be replaced quite cheaply?
But: how do I drain the machine so I can open it and rescue my laundry?
HELP!
Feb 2022
7:36pm, 1 Feb 2022
15,694 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
Most likely the pump is clogged up with something, and you can remove whatever it is, and the problem will be fixed. It's much more likely to be gummed up with lint/limescale or a bit of fabric than to be actually broken and need replacing.

There is usually a little panel at the bottom which gives you access to the pump. There will also be a little plastic hose that you can use to drain the machine into a suitable bucket. You typically need to unscrew something at the end of that hose and then water will start coming from the drum out of it.

Youtube will almost certainly have a video showing this on your exact model.
Feb 2022
7:38pm, 1 Feb 2022
85,252 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Cerrertonia, yes, my old machine had this, but my new one doesn't! So I have no idea how to drain it manually.
I did what you describe with the old one, a pound coin was stopping the pump rotate...
Off to look at youtube...
Feb 2022
7:43pm, 1 Feb 2022
1,694 posts
  •  
Turtlemama
Ah, I've had this too, twice. I had to turn it off, and manually drain it via a little hatch and valve on the front. Caused a mini flood but I'd laid loads of towels down.

Google/YouTube is your friend!!
Feb 2022
7:45pm, 1 Feb 2022
3,656 posts
  •  
Groundhog
Yes. YouTube is your best bet for a solution. I have found most problems can be fixed following guidance online.

I was thinking it might be a coin or similar that has got to the pump inlet.
Feb 2022
7:49pm, 1 Feb 2022
2,035 posts
  •  
Cheeky’s Dad
I found this on the internet Hanneke

“theres no filter on these models as the pump is actually attached to the back of the drum so theres no filter you can actually remove and clean im afraid.
If the issue you have is a draining fault then you need to pull the washer out and unplug it and remove the back panel.
From there you will see the pump attached to the back of the drum towards then bottom and its held on with 3 screws.
Remove these then you can remove the pump from there and give it a clean out.
Then refit the pump and see how it goes from there.“

My machine doesn’t have a drain hose but if you tip it backwards (or in your case forwards) you can get a washing up bowl under it to catch the water when you disconnect the pump

Hope that helps. I hate it when these sort of things go wrong. Throws me into a quite illogical rage 😁
Feb 2022
8:02pm, 1 Feb 2022
85,253 posts
  •  
Hanneke
CD thank you!
I haven't been able to find anything helpful so far on youtube or google...
The machine is heavy when empty, too heavy for me to move. It is full of wet laundry and water, I am never going to move it!
I have turned it off... On the Zanussi website they suggest, for this model, that the pump can overheat and cut off. It "should" start again after cooling down for 1-2 hours...
In any case, I hope that will allow me to open the door, with a container under it, and empty out the machine, so I can pull it out.
Argh! Just what I didn't need right now!
Feb 2022
8:05pm, 1 Feb 2022
85,254 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I think I am going to have to resign myself to waiting until my electrician turns up in the morning, or my builder or both. Strapping young lads!
They can move the machine, help me drain it etc...
I just hope my white clothes that are in there aren't going to go.mouldy over night :(
Feb 2022
8:08pm, 1 Feb 2022
20,359 posts
  •  
flanker
Seems to be the season for it. Our 3yo Samsung seems to have a faulty circuit board. Nearly 300 quid to get fixed so not worth it. If I can't fix it it'll be money we don't have for a new one.
Feb 2022
8:08pm, 1 Feb 2022
85,255 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Right, 45 minutes in, I am going to do something else, then try the rinse cycle: the last 10 minutes it failed to complete because of no draining.
Hopefully it is an overheated pump, but I fear that is because something is stuck in it...
If that doesn't work, stop fretting until I can get help tomorrow...
Argh!

About This Thread

Maintained by Hanneke
I hope the power of Fetch can come to my rescue!
I have a Zanussi Lindo 100 washing machine. It is about 5 years old and doesn't have a fluff filter.
It was running a cycle fine, until it got to the rinse, drain and spin, last part of the cycle. I happened to be standing next to it.
Two bleeps, E21 message.
I pressed the start button and it continued but fails to drain

I turned it off, then turned it to drain only. Initially, I thought the drum wasn't turning, as it clicks and tr...