Have you ever had to pull out?

5 watchers
Apr 2013
11:02am, 1 Apr 2013
7,887 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
Is it better not to start, if you are really not ready, or to turn up and see how it goes?
Apr 2013
11:08am, 1 Apr 2013
2,026 posts
  •  
Anna Bomb
Pulled out of the G-E canal race, wasn't properly prepared physically and definitely not mentally. Still annoys me now and even more so cos I feel I need to finish that race at some point in the future to put it to rest and by choice I'd never go near another canal ever
Apr 2013
11:18am, 1 Apr 2013
458 posts
  •  
Sazzahazza
only a 10k, I've DNS a few times due to illness and niggles, which I'm annoyed about
Apr 2013
11:20am, 1 Apr 2013
48,001 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
better not to start
Apr 2013
11:28am, 1 Apr 2013
1,359 posts
  •  
clairster
i am quite at ease with dnf'ing..for the majority of races..if its not working its not working (whether thats mentally or physically), i would rather call it a day than battle needlessly to the end..but its taken a long time for that to sit right with me AND it would depend on the event. If you dont start you will never know if it would have actually turned out ok. that being said, i am also very good at DNSing :)
Apr 2013
11:29am, 1 Apr 2013
2,119 posts
  •  
Robbo62
Very few people will be able to say they have never had a DNS, booking races months in advance cannot allow for injuries. Never had a DNF but then i don't do Ultra type distances. As regards to pulling out and thinking it would be better not to have started its easy to be wise after the event.
Apr 2013
11:30am, 1 Apr 2013
342 posts
  •  
Carpathius
PH I do think you're being far too hard on yourself. Those long races are at least as much about your mental state as your physical one but the mental state is one hell of a lot harder to train for!

I haven't DNS or DNF but I've only done six races so far.
Apr 2013
11:30am, 1 Apr 2013
68,688 posts
  •  
santababy
felt like last yr i was yr of dnf for me. twice now i've dnf at highland fling, first time i fell at 12miles then again at 40 which fucked me up, looked like a mummy by time doc was finsihed with me lol. whwrace last yr i pciked up ankle injury which put me in hospital yr before so didnt want to end up back there. Glenogle, got groin strain which still bothers me actually, i probably couldve gone on but cba

only one that bothers me is whwrace, but i know it was right thing to do
Apr 2013
11:33am, 1 Apr 2013
48,002 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
my mental state is fragile right now, to say the least
Apr 2013
11:49am, 1 Apr 2013
411 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
I've dnf'd at almost all distances - my favourite being parkrun... No shame in it, but it can mess with your head alot. Probably more painful in longer events, as you spend so long building up to them. Took a few weeks to see the funny side of dropping out of the W100 last year, but realistically I was beaten by the conditions/my preparedness for them ;)

About This Thread

Maintained by Caterpillar
Fortunately I have never been in this position, but it must be awful.