Cold weather-induced asthma?

6 watchers
Feb 2012
9:51pm, 1 Feb 2012
11,351 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I would, its often just trial and error finding what works for you. Technique is often a big part of it.
Feb 2012
10:00pm, 1 Feb 2012
3,337 posts
  •  
RichHL
Thanks, JohnnyO. :-)
Feb 2012
10:05pm, 1 Feb 2012
455 posts
  •  
tulip
since reducing my running speed drastically I haven't used my inhaler (ventolin - to help with exercise induced asthma which is very much dependent on temperature / damp conditions / speed of running) and so I didn't use it today before I went out. Started coughing / barking about half a mile in and am still coughing now with tight chest despite using ventolin on return home. Should have remembered that dry cold is an irritant! Never mind, live and learn
Feb 2012
10:38pm, 1 Feb 2012
686 posts
  •  
PowerJen
I have been using my reliever a lot more in the cold. I've a poorly throat and chest this week so have avoided running outside and have opted for the treadmill which has been fine. But yes, the cold seems to aggravate my lungs too.

Don't forget you've been ill, Rich, so that'll be a factor!
Feb 2012
10:54pm, 1 Feb 2012
528 posts
  •  
Mark J
Funny, I was going to post a thread about this myself tonight. The last two days when running I've been getting a heavy asthmatic chest. I'm doing what I always do which is a few puffs on my blue one about 20-30 before going out. Interesting to see I'm not alone. Cheers guys.
Feb 2012
10:00pm, 2 Feb 2012
3,338 posts
  •  
RichHL
Quite a hard effort tonight in low temperatures with no ill effects at all. I took a couple of puffs of ventolin half an hour before I started. It seems to work better than taking it immediately before starting.
Feb 2012
10:05pm, 2 Feb 2012
3,339 posts
  •  
Kieren
The cold air kills off some of your bronchioles - I believe some Norwegian winter sports team suffered cold induced asthma - it's really.

I used to get very wheezy a few years back and found on the really cold days running with a buff over my nose & mouth helped.
Feb 2012
10:09pm, 2 Feb 2012
3,340 posts
  •  
Kieren
Oh, I was wrong - the cold doesn't kill off bronchioles. The following is a good article and a bit too much to paste

well.blogs.nytimes.com
Feb 2012
10:51pm, 2 Feb 2012
5,143 posts
  •  
Binks
Ohh good thread. I've felt it, feeling like I am suffocating for the first 10 minutes of a run. I just keep forgetting to take the inhaler but I think this weekend I'll cover my chest more, maybe my mouth too and use the bloody inhaler.

I sit in an office where everyone is wearing coats and scarves as they are so cold and I don't even feel cold. I never have felt the cold generally but the cold air in my lungs seems to be making itself known.
Feb 2012
6:52am, 3 Feb 2012
11,367 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
The cold just acts as an irritant, like dust or pollen or other things that some people are sensitive to.
Exercise induced asthma is different and can be very difficult to treat.

About This Thread

Maintained by RichHL
I enjoyed - for a given value of enjoyment - my track session yesterday evening. I had no more probl...