Cold weather-induced asthma?

6 watchers
Feb 2012
8:33pm, 4 Feb 2012
1,289 posts
  •  
Garfield
I've never thought I had asthma but recently, long runs or hard efforts at the track can do nasty things to me when coupled with cold air. It practically gives me cold-like symptoms, fluid on the lungs sort of things.
Feb 2012
9:02pm, 4 Feb 2012
11,081 posts
  •  
Puffing Bertie
I have EIA, so today at parkrun i had on 3 tops and 2 bottoms and a hat and a buff over my throat. I find if i start off warm i can usually stay warm and that helps the asthma, but the buff over the mouth is also a great help if its very cold. Normally i finish a hard run (parkrun is usually hard for me) with my chest feeling like someone has dropped a lit match in my lungs.....not today, so i obviously did something right (and yes i did try hard as usual) :-)
Feb 2012
7:18am, 5 Feb 2012
1,291 posts
  •  
Garfield
I think I might go to the doc and ask about it. Taking an antihistamine tablet last night made things much better...though now I feel as though I'm at the tail end of a cold tryingnto get stuff out of my lungs.
Feb 2012
8:59am, 5 Feb 2012
11,196 posts
  •  
halfpint
Buff over mouth will help. I have very very mild asthma and in the cold is pretty much the only time it bothers me.
Feb 2012
10:25am, 5 Feb 2012
11,082 posts
  •  
Puffing Bertie
Today my asthma was crap.....not cos it was cold but cos it was damp.......damp is defo the worst for me anyway.

Hope the Dr helps you Garfield.
Feb 2012
4:15pm, 5 Feb 2012
1,294 posts
  •  
Garfield
halfpint, I tried that last week when running over Waterloo Bridge, only it kept sliding down!!! I might use my fleece buff instead, it might stay in place a little better.
Feb 2012
4:46pm, 5 Feb 2012
766 posts
  •  
sweeny
RichHL have a word with your asthma nurse, Fostair is a first line recommendation as it is an MDI so cheaper for the NHS than other inhalers, I find that people with EIA get on better with symbicort, it is easier to use because it is in a turbohaler and can be used as both preventer and reliever and as a well controlled asthmatic is cheaper for the NHS than a poorly controlled one we can justify the cost.
Feb 2012
6:28pm, 8 Feb 2012
1,316 posts
  •  
Garfield
Fleece buff helped me today!
Feb 2012
9:49pm, 15 Feb 2012
3,346 posts
  •  
RichHL
I've found that sitting on my arse is the best possible preventative for wheezing in cold weather. I'll check out symbicort the next time I see my asthma nurse.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by RichHL
I enjoyed - for a given value of enjoyment - my track session yesterday evening. I had no more probl...