Chest running torch recommendations (or head torch)

11 watchers
Nov 2021
9:45pm, 9 Nov 2021
2,213 posts
  •  
bonners
This was going to be a thread recommending me a lightweight head torch. However a comment from a fellow fetchie (thanks V'rap) got me thinking about chest torches instead. Having done a bit of research the only downfall I can see is that some of them seem to rock around a bit much, especially if you have a bit of a random up and down gait. So I wondered if anybody had used them and had any particular success or failures with any particular model, particularly with regard to lighting the way rather than lighting yourself up.

We live out in the sticks and I'm struggling to find decent running routes that arent in pitch darkness and a lot of the paths around us have fairly big holes or branches fallen across them which can catch you out, so it does need to light my way.

I think I'm a convert to rechargeable ones, as my evening runs will only be 5-8 miles, so doesnt need to last for hours and hours.

Having said all that, I am still open to a head torch, but It's need to be pretty convincing to change my mind from a chest one as I am really not a fan of things on my head.

Any recommendations welcome, thanks in advance :)
Nov 2021
9:49pm, 9 Nov 2021
26,704 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I have the Ledlenser neo10r (or some such code) - they sent it to me. It’s bright, and comfortable. Have only tried it on my head though.
Nov 2021
9:55pm, 9 Nov 2021
978 posts
  •  
lin50
I use a chest light that I bought from Amazon, and quite a few of my running club also have the same one. I think it was around £20 and is rechargeable. No issues with it moving around as it has adjustable straps.
Nov 2021
456 posts
  •  
Minimag
I have both, the chest torch seems to ride up and need constant downward adjustment (especially if I am using a running jacket). The head torch (a recent purchase) seems to be better for me, and after a couple of minutes I dont feel the discomfort (the tired legs take over the discomfort factor :) )
Nov 2021
17,678 posts
  •  
Ness
I alway had trouble with head torches being uncomfortable and affecting my night vision badly. My first chest torch was this and it was very good....

decathlon.co.uk

When I needed to replace it there were none available so I got this instead.....

amazon.co.uk

It’s ok but not as good as the first one. I keep looking for the decathlon one to come back in stock and then I’ll buy a new one.

Hope this helps
Nov 2021
10:02pm, 9 Nov 2021
6,907 posts
  •  
The_Saint
Head Torch all the way, chest torches don't follow your eyes which is vital to see where your feet are going. As it happens people in my running club last Thursday asked me to do a post on our forum about what I would recommend.
sandomenico.uk
Nov 2021
10:02pm, 9 Nov 2021
2,909 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
Another vote for Lenser NEO10R (and I paid for mine), it's the best lightweight running headtorch I've owned. Great value as well but for the best prices look at places like Toolstore, Screwfix not outdoor stores. I've also got a Lenser SEO7R which is also rechargeable and good but the NEO10R is better for a similar price. If you want to spend less than that look at Alpkit's range e.g Quark.
Nov 2021
10:25pm, 9 Nov 2021
1,642 posts
  •  
Cheeky’s Dad
I have the Alpkit Gamma (head torch) which I really like. It has a rear red light too which is useful on the narrow country lanes round us. It’s light, plenty bright enough and has lots of adjustment. I’ve never used a chest light so can’t comment but I do like the way a head torch points where you look - particularly useful for giving drivers a hard Paddington stare if they seem not to be about to give you a decently wide berth. One downside of a head torch from my perspective- I do tend to find that in the rain it lights the raindrops so you feel like you’re running into the old Pearl & Dean advert (showing my age) but if you wear a baseball cap that sorts it.
Nov 2021
10:42pm, 9 Nov 2021
2,214 posts
  •  
bonners
Some more food for thought all round. Thanks all for the comments. I may come back with some more questions once I've looked at the suggestions on here.

Thanks muchly 👍😊
Nov 2021
7:45am, 10 Nov 2021
8,024 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
I'm a convert to the chest light. Do a lot of trail running after dark and one with a wide circle of light seems to overcome the inability to direct the beam where you look. It also has a long battery life (big battery pack) and a very bright red rear light for when I can't avoid the road.

Have also used it with a cheap lightweight head torch (bright, but limited battery life) for really tricky trails, as you can turn the head torch off most of the time.

About This Thread

Maintained by
This was going to be a thread recommending me a lightweight head torch. However a comment from a fellow fetchie (thanks V'rap) got me thinking about chest torches instead. Having done a bit of research the only downfall I can see is that some of them seem to rock around a bit much, especially if you have a bit of a random up and down gait. So I wondered if anybody had used them and had any particular success or failures with any particular model, particularly with regard to lighting the...