Causes of, and help with, cramp

2 watchers
Aug 2011
9:39pm, 22 Aug 2011
5,541 posts
  •  
runner duck
yep i've had the high 5 and the nuun. couldn't notice any difference. altho i think the high 5 ones are cheaper
Aug 2011
9:41pm, 22 Aug 2011
449 posts
  •  
SuperDave!
i switched from nuun to high5 zero's, they are just as good as the nuun but i just found nuun a bit expensive. i buy from from wiggle.co.uk, with free delivery :-)
Aug 2011
9:43pm, 22 Aug 2011
1,431 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
I've just ordered some lemon & lime nuun tablets from a cycling company on eBay, I get my Shot Bloks from them and the service is fantastic.

He does play a lot of football, and when he plays he plays hard. Although if he doesn't get this sorted soon he'll hopefully get help from his new college where he is going to be part of a football academy (affiliated to Charlton FC) - they take diet/fitness very seriously there and I'm sure they'll have some ideas for him.

In the meantime, we'll give the nuun a go (and I'll try them on my next longish run).

Thanks!
Aug 2011
10:01pm, 22 Aug 2011
1,208 posts
  •  
RichHL
I've found Powerade ION4 has helped reduce the cramps I was getting in my calves. I have a bottle after training. It tastes dreadful but it works for me. I'll check out the alternatives mentioned here as well.
Aug 2011
1:21am, 23 Aug 2011
242 posts
  •  
Chris 0198
Cramps could also be a result of lack of oxygen getting to the muscles. But I reckon it's salts, especially if later in the day.
I'm currently trying somethinkg I got from Holland & Barret, can't remeber what its called, but it seems to be doing the trick.
Aug 2011
11:26am, 23 Aug 2011
9,576 posts
  •  
controversial
I think guys you will find f you google a bit that cramps have got NOTHING, i repeat NOTHING to do with hydration.

sportsscientists.com

I think it is important to really stop saying that cramps are due to dehydration ... as you see the effect is that you try to fix them by buying something that is not going to fix them.
Do I have a solution to the original problem, nope. Sorry.
Aug 2011
11:55am, 23 Aug 2011
11,064 posts
  •  
hellen
If you don't like the taste of nunn etc then you could try elite electrolyte, you put a few drops in water, it tastes of nothing, or you can get it in tablet form
I didn't like nunn but liked the high 5 one
Aug 2011
11:58am, 23 Aug 2011
25,378 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
I think I should have the Nunns before a triathlon as I got cramp on Sunday and also at Wimbleball coming out the water having the Nunns too late

(see blog)
Aug 2011
11:59am, 23 Aug 2011
405 posts
  •  
Kimbles67
Its not full blown cramp I suffer from after hard session, its that horrible pain from restless leg. Had it all last night and couldnt sleep. Think it will be a bottle of High 5 today to see if it helps.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by PaulaMc
Son1 (16) has started to suffer with cramp when playing football, particularly in his calf. He says...