calf cramp

1 watcher
Jun 2013
6:01pm, 9 Jun 2013
269 posts
  •  
becky f
I was running a race for life today and when I got to around 2 miles I suddenly had severe cramp in my calf .It eased and I managed to carry on running but since I stopped and hours later it is still well sore .I have to limp slightly when I walk or it hurts and there is slight achy soreness when I just sit?
Does it sound like it could be a calf strain or just still sore from the cramp? Should I stretch or leave stretching for today?
Jun 2013
6:17pm, 9 Jun 2013
23,998 posts
  •  
swittle
Avoid any activity that causes pain or worse pain. A little hot & cold won't hurt: a towel soaked in v warm water followed by a compress of crushed ice in a tea towel. Try this if it doesn't hurt: sit cross-legged, rotate the suspended ankle, 10 clockwise, 10 anti-clockwise.

Rest until pain free.

*I have no professional qualifications re sports injuries*
T39
Jun 2013
6:26pm, 9 Jun 2013
1,980 posts
  •  
T39
My calves always ache from mile 1 to 2 of every run..have done for years
Tried everything to ease it :-(
Jun 2013
7:08pm, 9 Jun 2013
217 posts
  •  
Butterflies
I don't know if it would help, and if it hurts a lot, I would say stop, but try rolling it on a foam roller, or rolling pin if you don't have a roller. It might help straighten out the fibres in your leg. Then heat it, then ice it, then heat it, then ice it again.
Jun 2013
10:19pm, 9 Jun 2013
3,086 posts
  •  
SharonD
Sounds like it could be a strain/tear in which case ice for 20mins every couple of hours, rest for two days-avoid foam roller etc as at this early stage they are too harsh and likely to make it worse! V. Light massage twds the end of the week. Keep walking, try swimming and cycling and gently pointing, flexing & rotating ankles-if its still very sore by Tuesday then go to a sports therapist/Physio.
Aug 2013
7:09pm, 28 Aug 2013
64 posts
  •  
chidge
Severe cramp last night whilst swim training - calf still very sore / tight now - is it possible to get calf strain just from a cramp ?
Aug 2013
7:35pm, 28 Aug 2013
1,159 posts
  •  
runnyeyes
I'm sure I've had damage from bad cramp..never from swimming but the cramp that gets you in the middle of the night, and you are always tangled in the sheets and duvet.

The sore spots have always gone in a couple of days.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
I was running a race for life today and when I got to around 2 miles I suddenly had severe cramp in ...