Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

How to prevent leg cramps in a marathon

3 watchers
Apr 2013
7:40pm, 22 Apr 2013
2024 posts
ndellar
Another vote for Nuun. Never suffered badly and mostly got my bad calf cramps in bed at night rather than when actually running but since I started having Nuun in my water bottle in the summer I don't wake up screaming any more ;) Winter I don't bother but I don't get the cramps...
Apr 2013
9:49pm, 22 Apr 2013
245 posts
buzby123
Oh dear, mile 23, I may be a bit of a mess by that stage.
Apr 2013
10:21pm, 22 Apr 2013
244 posts
_2Jabs_
sadly i suffered some quite severe cramps at VLM this year. started in my foot (new orthotics - as a necessity & not through choice), which lead to me trying to flex on the run which then twanged all the way up my legs. from 16miles i was in agony and run-walking on a 4min-1min ratio to just get through - i couldnt have physically run further, and did stop a few times to massage my legs through. sadly ive also suffered some particularly rough sunburn.

i'd fuelled and hyrdrated right but thinking back, i was definitely fatigued from the expo the previous day & all the trapsing around london to accommodation etc.
Apr 2013
10:22pm, 22 Apr 2013
10231 posts
Jock Itch
Crab apple rescue remedy. Two drops in water, you'll never see another cramp ever.
May 2013
10:17pm, 15 May 2013
43 posts
missvivvy
Just bumping this up as wiggle have nuun on bogof at the moment:

wiggle.co.uk

Other running kit websites are available..........

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by buzby123
I've only done one marathon, admittedly it was multi terrain and hilly but, the one area I suffered...

Close