How to prevent leg cramps in a marathon

3 watchers
Apr 2013
7:40pm, 22 Apr 2013
2,024 posts
  •  
ndellar
Another vote for Nuun. Never suffered badly and mostly got my bad calf cramps in bed at night rather than when actually running but since I started having Nuun in my water bottle in the summer I don't wake up screaming any more ;) Winter I don't bother but I don't get the cramps...
Apr 2013
9:49pm, 22 Apr 2013
245 posts
  •  
buzby123
Oh dear, mile 23, I may be a bit of a mess by that stage.
Apr 2013
10:21pm, 22 Apr 2013
244 posts
  •  
_2Jabs_
sadly i suffered some quite severe cramps at VLM this year. started in my foot (new orthotics - as a necessity & not through choice), which lead to me trying to flex on the run which then twanged all the way up my legs. from 16miles i was in agony and run-walking on a 4min-1min ratio to just get through - i couldnt have physically run further, and did stop a few times to massage my legs through. sadly ive also suffered some particularly rough sunburn.

i'd fuelled and hyrdrated right but thinking back, i was definitely fatigued from the expo the previous day & all the trapsing around london to accommodation etc.
Apr 2013
10:22pm, 22 Apr 2013
10,231 posts
  •  
Jock Itch
Crab apple rescue remedy. Two drops in water, you'll never see another cramp ever.
May 2013
10:17pm, 15 May 2013
43 posts
  •  
missvivvy
Just bumping this up as wiggle have nuun on bogof at the moment:

wiggle.co.uk

Other running kit websites are available..........

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by buzby123
I've only done one marathon, admittedly it was multi terrain and hilly but, the one area I suffered...