Causes of, and help with, cramp

2 watchers
Aug 2011
8:51pm, 22 Aug 2011
1,428 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
Son1 (16) has started to suffer with cramp when playing football, particularly in his calf. He says that afternoon training isn't such a problem but his evening matches are becoming a problem.

Does the time of day make any difference? Is he likely to be lower in something (salt?) later in the day? He says that when he starts to sprint he really stiffens up, sometimes just in the calf but sometimes up through the hip as well.

I wonder if it's a general fitness issue, even though he's one of the fittest on the team, or should I be looking at his diet? His coach advocates squash with a bit of salt in it but so far that's not helped.
Aug 2011
8:54pm, 22 Aug 2011
13,896 posts
  •  
swittle
Hydration; getting the salts balance right; and warming up *before* stretching. Those used to be on my rugby playing checklist.
Aug 2011
9:16pm, 22 Aug 2011
1,429 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
I think the salts balance is the key for him. He's pretty good with hydrating and stretching, although I'm aware that sometimes the coach has them stretch a bit too early. I've told him to try to warm up a bit on his own beforehand if he can.

Any advice on how to balance the salts? Perhaps rather than water he should drink something like SiS, something with electrolytes in.
Aug 2011
9:21pm, 22 Aug 2011
5,540 posts
  •  
runner duck
sounds like a good idea - he could use the hydration tablet thingies, probably a bit cheaper...
Aug 2011
9:26pm, 22 Aug 2011
13,897 posts
  •  
swittle
Nuun tablets are getting rave reviews from some of the Yorkshire Fetchies. Taste is pleasant and not too strong. 1 tablet in 500ml water and let it fizz for 2 minutes. Could be done on the move!
Aug 2011
9:27pm, 22 Aug 2011
1,430 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
I've heard good things about these too, just never tried them myself (although I think I could do with them sometimes, I seem to *leak* salt on hot days ...)

I'll get some and see how he goes
Aug 2011
9:30pm, 22 Aug 2011
13,898 posts
  •  
swittle
That's a good point: there are different kinds of 'hot' - warm, dry heat; and the high humidity version which will cause more fluid loss. Don't discount how breeze and wind contribute to dehydration too.
Aug 2011
9:32pm, 22 Aug 2011
89 posts
  •  
SunnyDevon
I've found electrolyte replacement has cured any problems I've had with cramps, but that is running a relatively high mileage. So if he is playing a lot of football it could be an explanation.Salt in squash is better than nothing, but electrolytes contain other things like magnesium, potassium and loads of other things which salt in squash won't replace. Electrolyte drinks maybe worth a go. Google electrolyte replacement and read a few things..just bear in mind they are usually trying to sell you something ;)
Aug 2011
9:33pm, 22 Aug 2011
10,254 posts
  •  
MissChappo
Berry Nuun is palatable.
Aug 2011
9:34pm, 22 Aug 2011
10,177 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
High 5 ones test best, Shotz are expensive, Nuun have a range of flavours, all of which are good.
Much less cramp for me after long runs and doubles.

About This Thread

Maintained by PaulaMc
Son1 (16) has started to suffer with cramp when playing football, particularly in his calf. He says...