Cardiff Half Marathon - pre and post race thread

14 watchers
Oct 2015
7:28pm, 2 Oct 2015
5,837 posts
  •  
*Anj*
Lol, predictive text. A grotty cold, bunged up nose and chesty cough.
Oct 2015
7:07am, 3 Oct 2015
3,776 posts
  •  
WildeRover
Is it flat?
Oct 2015
10:42am, 3 Oct 2015
5,767 posts
  •  
The_Saint
Roath Park Lake is renowned as the hilliest lake in Cardiff
Oct 2015
11:22am, 3 Oct 2015
1,513 posts
  •  
James74
Flat most the way, last bit, little hilly, but not bad at all. Great course.
Oct 2015
11:42am, 3 Oct 2015
5,838 posts
  •  
*Anj*
I am lucky enough to work for the sponsor this year so I get to have a lovely employee bag drop area in city hall. No fighting the crowds to get bags with the muggles ;)
Nov 2015
11:21am, 15 Nov 2015
11 posts
  •  
Adorescience
I am doing the Cardiff HM in March 2016 - my first ever HM. Does anyone have any tips/ advice?
Nov 2015
4:13pm, 16 Nov 2015
3,787 posts
  •  
WildeRover
It's flat.
Nov 2015
4:22pm, 16 Nov 2015
3,788 posts
  •  
WildeRover
OK - it's mostly flat.

Cardiff overall is one of the flattest HM courses around, although not as flat as it used to be. If this year's October version is anything to go by, there should be lots of support out, as the HM is getting to be a big spectator event in Cardiff.

The start and finish are right by the middle of the city, so as long as you are central it is easy to get to and from. If you are not central - don't expect public transport to get you there. Generally public transport into Cardiff hasn't run early enough to get you to the start line of the HMs.

The course takes you past quite a mix of commercial, residential, scenic and historic areas. Worth knowing your major landmarks around Cardiff for the added interest.

On paper, the worst hill is actually the one around 3-4 miles, on the legs, I am reliably informed the worst hill is any gradient between 12 miles and the end and there are a couple of those - only bridge size, but not appreciated at that point.
Nov 2015
8:45pm, 16 Nov 2015
5,774 posts
  •  
The_Saint
Don't use Garmin profiles to prove anything about Cardiff's flatness Bob, we got Fetchforked for that last time :-)
Nov 2015
11:52am, 17 Nov 2015
516 posts
  •  
Shred Betty
According to the website for the World HM in March, the mass race starts at 14:00, so public transport should be a more viable option, wish they'd start the normal October one a bit later!

By local standards it's a very flat course, the worst hill just after Roath Park at mile 12, It's really nothing to worry about though as it's only short and there's usually plenty of crowd support there. It can get a bit crowded for the first few miles, but it is enjoyable course and does take in some of the best bits of Cardiff, running across the barrage is always a highlight for me!

About This Thread

Maintained by *Anj*
90,000 runners this year :-O going to be busy but hopefully no where will get too congested (Bute...