Cape Wrath Challenge

4 watchers
Apr 2012
8:30am, 30 Apr 2012
4,909 posts
  •  
flip
The week of races has been on my to do list for a long time . I was entered in 2010 but had to pull out-thanks for the reminder. :-)
Apr 2012
8:36am, 30 Apr 2012
21,183 posts
  •  
Old Croc
booked in a delightfully named Smoo Cave Hotel!
May 2012
2:46pm, 2 May 2012
2 posts
  •  
Halo
Hi all! Ferry crossing - yeah it's about that - you/your relay mates can take over a jacket with you and leave it on the 'Cape-side' so that you have something warm to wear on the ferry journey. It's pretty much uphill as soon as you get off the ferry so I have vague memories of taking my jacket off and tying round my waist for the last couple of miles!

We're staying at the campsite and hoping for less wind than last year. Had to move the camper twice to try and get some shelter (it's only little and was getting buffetted a bit). If you're bringing a tent it's worth bringing some extra rope if you can - tying your tent to the fence is quite a common defence!

Smoo Cave - wise move - you don't have to walk up the big hill every morning to get to registration - you'll be running up it plenty during the week anyway! Smoo Cave itself is worth a visit too one afternoon if you've not been before!

See you there! Not long now ...
May 2012
10:06am, 9 May 2012
445 posts
  •  
Gcad
Hillside B&B which is run by the Race Director with his (I assume) good lady. Squeeky bum time now.
May 2012
10:13am, 9 May 2012
21,305 posts
  •  
Old Croc
what races you running GCad - am only up for the half
May 2012
10:33am, 9 May 2012
446 posts
  •  
Gcad
Hi OC, I am doing the full martathon on the Saturday, arriving on the Friday.
May 2012
9:04am, 18 May 2012
21,427 posts
  •  
Old Croc
Good luck to the marathoners for tomorrow - and fingers crossed weather is better than start of week.

Am nearly recovered from Monday's effort.
May 2012
10:00am, 21 May 2012
31 posts
  •  
rhorunner
Just found this thread having just returned from the week's events at Cape Wrath- should have looked before I went :):). Did every race and loved every minute of the pain, rain, wind, hills, snow, hail, rain and sunshine. Throw in sheep, scary cows, beaches and a wee bit of sunshine and you get the picture. :):)
If you love off road mayhem and crazy adventures in the middle of no-where then the Cape Wrath Challenge is for you.
May 2012
10:49am, 21 May 2012
447 posts
  •  
Gcad
The Uk's toughest Marathon has had it's backside royalty kicked. This is without doubt the toughest and most enjoyable running experience I have ever encountered. I have in my life done probably hundreds of races of varying distances. But this tops them all.
Anyone looking for a unique running experience this is the event for you.
May 2012
8:29am, 22 May 2012
3,666 posts
  •  
2 Flat Feet
It's on the list for both of us. Will be a lovely event to share with C :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Gcad
I have entered the Cape Wrath Challenge the most NorthWestern Marathon on the British Isles, I am no...