Calf strain or something else ????

1 watcher
Aug 2015
10:56pm, 2 Aug 2015
65 posts
  •  
chidge
I first noticed what i assumed was a slight calf strain back in March (at Conniston 14). It didnt really feel like anything so i carried on running on it. Ive had calf strains in the past but this felt different in that its on the side (outside) of my leg as opposed to the back.

In the last week in May i ran each day and did 50 miles in total, the injury was more noticeable so i decided to rest it........8 weeks later and it hasn't improved at all.

There is no swelling, it feels like the pain is quite deep and i cant work out if its on the outside of the shinbone or in a surrounding muscle (calf ?).

Ive been to the physio who didnt have a clue and advised me to carry on resting it and gave me some stretching exercises - at £60 a time im not going back to be just told what i already know (ie my leg hurts and i've got tight hamstrings and dont stretch enough)

Does this sound like a calf strain ? and if so then is it normal for it still to be hurting after 8 weeks of total rest from running (I have had calf strains in the past and ive always been back running within 4-6 weeks). If not then can anyone advise what it could be ??

Many Thanks
Aug 2015
11:10pm, 2 Aug 2015
270 posts
  •  
Cog Niscencsme
I've had something similar where the calf pain was in the middle to outside. I tried dropping the miles to barely 10/week but it didnt help. My physio decided after the second session that it was a problem with the sciatic nerve at the L5 S1 vertebrae in my back. Corrective actions included manipulation of the back and exercises for back mobility. It did not improve immediately but once I got a few weeks of back exercises in place and took 10 days off running to let it settle I had a marked improvement and am now back to running 30 miles per week.
Aug 2015
6:19am, 4 Aug 2015
66 posts
  •  
chidge
Thanks CN -I did ask physiology if it was compartment syndrome - she said no as there was no swelling. Does anyone know if lack of swelling definitely rules it out ?
Aug 2015
6:20am, 4 Aug 2015
67 posts
  •  
chidge
.....physiology = physio !!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by chidge
I first noticed what i assumed was a slight calf strain back in March (at Conniston 14). It didnt re...