Ankle ligament damage :(

5 watchers
Nov 2012
1:57pm, 2 Nov 2012
155 posts
  •  
Not so lazytoad!
Hi All

About 8 weeks ago whilst walking down some stairs I went over on my ankle banged my shin the whole job lot. My ankle straight away started to swell and spent a month or so going every colour under the sun. The docs have X-rayed it although inside only nothing on the outside, iit came back free from fracture. Its no better so have been back since as it feels quite weak and im getting pains on the outside and inside of my ankle :( So I have now been refered for some NHS physio as the doc thinks I have stretched the ligaments in my ankle :( Could take up to 3 months to get an appointment!

So my question is does anyone have experience of this, excercises I can use, would an ankle support help? I am currently not running so trying to maintain fitness by spinning, cross training and body pumping to get my muscles strong.

K x
Nov 2012
2:17pm, 2 Nov 2012
10,292 posts
  •  
early bird
physioadvisor.com.au

I'm not an expert but saw that link thought it might help. I hurt my ankle once and I used to stand on one foot when brushing my teeth and then change half way through that seemed to help. Hopefully someone else will have some better advise soon
Nov 2012
7:08pm, 2 Nov 2012
368 posts
  •  
NickyNoo
I'm just starting some rehab exercises for ligament damage in my foot/ankle, the first exercise I've got it just that! Stand on one foot and work up to 60 seconds with as limited corrective movement as possible. Then I've got writing the alphabet/number with my foot whilst laying down and then cycling but only on the flat. Sports therapist wants to review after a week before letting me go to the next stage! Hope this helps
Nov 2012
7:28pm, 2 Nov 2012
940 posts
  •  
wiener dog
When I had this I was told all of the above but also had to lay a towel down on the floor and scrunch it up in my toes, point my toes down then flex my foot back towards my shin, then progress to the standing on one leg thing with my eyes shut ( don't laugh it's hard! ) Had to use ice 3 times a day and ibuprofen gel. I had two weeks off running and then started with a reduced mileage - I had my ankle taped by the physio and had to use ice after I exercised.
Nov 2012
7:45pm, 3 Nov 2012
156 posts
  •  
Not so lazytoad!
Thank you everyone for your replys :) I will look all the recommended exercises up and give them go.
Nov 2012
8:13pm, 3 Nov 2012
5,853 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Eight weeks seems to be a bit of a while for ankle ligaments to be so much of a problem. However, after they are better there is still quite a long time when they don't feel better as your proprioception is thrown off. (For example, you stand on a pebble: it feels as if you have trod on a large stone.)
Nov 2012
5:17pm, 4 Nov 2012
5 posts
  •  
oldgrunter
Hi Not So,
Ankles can be complicated!
I did my ankle ligament a while ago & was told by both a Doctor & a Physio that Id've been better off breaking it. Couldn't run for 4 months.

I reckon you need a precise diagnosis - particularly as it's 8 weeks old - & recommend seeing a Physio privately (£40ish?) or it could be months before you get sorted.
Be prepared to do the exercises/stretches that we all do religiously when we get injured - don't we?!....
Good luck.
Nov 2012
7:29pm, 4 Nov 2012
157 posts
  •  
Not so lazytoad!
I know what you mean Dvorak!

Pleased to hear its not just me old grunted, that's the impression I got when I was at the docs :( unfortunately I'm broke this month although will see if the credit card can stand it!
Nov 2012
7:41pm, 4 Nov 2012
6,285 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
When you say it's not better, what is it like at the moment?

Asking because it took me weeks until I was back running (and it's still sore when running longer distances even 14 months later), but it did substantially improve after about a week or two from only being able to walk a few painful steps at a time to making it to the bus stop down the road without any big problems. If you still can't walk at all/barely, then you def need to see someone - but if it's just that you can't run or put much weight on, that might (unfortunately) be normal...
Nov 2012
7:44pm, 4 Nov 2012
6,286 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
As for exercises, when it had got better, I did the same as mentioned above: stand on one leg, 'write' with the foot, pick up a towel with it. I was told to start the 'writing' exercises as soon as I could without major pain as it would help increase range of motion for when the ankle would be better - used to do it whenever I was sitting anywhere, on the bus, in the office etc.

I wore two ankle supports on top of each other as I found just one not firm enough (possibly because the smallest size was still not very tight for me). After the ankle had got better, I still used it in off-road races - think it's more of a psychological thing there as I couldn't help it if I re-twistes my ankle anyway.

About This Thread

Maintained by Nutso Lazytoad!
Hi All

About 8 weeks ago whilst walking down some stairs I went over on my ankle banged my shin t...