20 minutes off my 10k PB, how do I take off another 15?

5 watchers
May 2013
10:29am, 30 May 2013
4,593 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
30-40mpw should be very manageable for anyone, whatever pace you run - you make the time you need.

Personally up to 60mpw is easy enough, it's beyond that it starts to get tricky working + running.

I was managing 60mpw including orienteering and with hockey and something else on top
May 2013
10:31am, 30 May 2013
3,338 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
You make the time you need? I leave at 6:30 am, get back at 7pm, go running two nights a week and a saturday morning. Anything other than that and I'd never get through my workload, or the house would be falling apart, or my partner would forget who I am!
May 2013
10:31am, 30 May 2013
3,339 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Sorry de-railed the thread.
May 2013
10:37am, 30 May 2013
4,594 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Run for longer on the nights you do run and run more often (for example you don't run Sunday at the moment - you could do an hour or two then?). Simples.

Other options include running to/from work.
May 2013
10:38am, 30 May 2013
4,595 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Also, don't worry about having the tidiest house in the world. Life is to short to worry about it.
May 2013
10:40am, 30 May 2013
18,241 posts
  •  
macca53
sounds like your work-life balance is out of kilter HB (as I accept many are through necessity of course)
May 2013
10:43am, 30 May 2013
16,339 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I work 44 hours per week (at least), I am doing a degree in my spare time, I do about 50mpw.
In spring, when I was marathon training I was doing 70mpw.

You make the time if you want it, if you don't, thats fine- but it is do-able.
May 2013
10:47am, 30 May 2013
7,063 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
You're in the same age category as me, and your VO2 max is about the same, I had mine tested in January. A 40 min 10k is about where I am at, although I'd like to get back under it.
You'd be welcome to look at my training log if you like.
May 2013
10:48am, 30 May 2013
3,340 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Runing to and from work? I work 40 miles away :-)

Don't think it's as simple as people saying "you make time if you want to" if you have a high workload job and want to maintain relationships. I mean yeah, I could have a house that looks like a tip, be single and have no money to enter any races, but not sure I'd be altogether happy with the way things had panned out. Just saying to the missus "yeah I am running Saturday and Sunday mornings, sorry about that" doesn't really work in terms of our relationship. She is happy for me to run, not happy for me to turn into an absent boyfriend because of it.
May 2013
11:21am, 30 May 2013
4,596 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Then it sounds like you've prioritized other things, HB. That's fine.

I'll admit that I am single, so that makes things a bit easier, but I'd also expect in any relationship I have that any potential partner would allow me to make some time for my interests, and vice versa of course.

I couldn't live with your work-life balance. I very much work to live, rather than live to work. It's one of the big reasons I wouldn't want to live in the SE - the culture of job being everything would drive me mad. (yes, I know I am making sweeping generalisations)

And btw, I race nearly every weekend, between Orienteering and running. Not been a problem paying for races yet. Maybe you need to do cheaper club races? ;-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Molesy
After a lifetime of being a non-runner I spent 5 years of running on and off leading to the BUPA Lon...