10K or HM?

3 watchers
FR
Oct 2013
8:51pm, 6 Oct 2013
16,979 posts
  •  
FR
I think that issues arise after 15 miles so a 20 miler is vital in my view.
Oct 2013
9:06pm, 6 Oct 2013
27,545 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
You CAN get round a marathon without doing a half marathon or a 20 mile race in preparation. I can vouch for that. I can't recommend it, though.

To the initial question, I'd say, if you've got to choose now, enter the half marathon. It's a very satisfying distance to race - any able-bodied person can get round 13.1 miles without missing a mealtime so it's not intimidating, but with proper training you can race it hard and not be extinct by the finish.
Oct 2013
9:47pm, 6 Oct 2013
661 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
Thanks, both. My plan is to be up to 14 miles (in training) by the end of the year, and to have done several 20 milers before the big day.

I do fancy the HM for next June :)
Oct 2013
10:25pm, 6 Oct 2013
27,547 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
It does look like a lovely event :)
Oct 2013
6:07am, 7 Oct 2013
206 posts
  •  
southcoastclaret
Only you can decide really. There's not going to be a question of being able to go the distance for the half (and that same sense of achievement for simply completing), as you will have done the full marathon by then.

Each race distance has its own challenges, and it's up to you which you want to focus on - many runners like to focus on going shorter and faster in the summer, and so you may want to focus on speedwork and really trying to improve your 10K time. Similarly the half is a reallly interesting event to race as it is not simply a matter of surviving, but is a long way to run hard. You would be guaranteed a pb at the half!

If you fancy the half - go for it!

On the Sunday thing, I have had a bit of a similar issue - though not a pro like you, and it has become easier since we've started going to a church which meets on Sunday afternoon. There are races on other days out there - quite a few midweek evenings in the summer, often short 5k series are available, and they are great fun (I know you will be busy with meetings), but they may be the odd one you could slip in. Is there a Parkrun near you? With the 9am Sat start, I am back from mine by 10:30 with the rest of the day to spend with the family. How about getting your churches to organise a race as a fundraiser - cancel the services for a day, and have a big community event??????
Oct 2013
7:05am, 7 Oct 2013
207 posts
  •  
southcoastclaret
Sorry - bit far flung at the end there - just always wondered about whether or not my church could put on a decent race.

Forgot to say that Bank Holidays can be a rich resource for finding non-Sunday races - there's a local 10K every New Year's Day and on Easter Monday near me.
Oct 2013
7:23am, 7 Oct 2013
662 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
Thanks, SCC - I manage a Parkrun every other Saturday on average, and one of the two races I've done so far was on a Friday evening. Good point about going the distance for the HM not being a challenge... I suppose I was thinking I could set myself a benchmark at it, and then have 5K, 10K and HM times to work at over the next couple of years. I can't see the marathon being a regular feature after London - just too much training. Speaking of which, I'd better stop procrastinating and get out the door for my 9 miles...

Two of my churches are going to hold fundraising events towards my target, and one is going to hold a special service while I'm actually running the marathon, themed on running sonar to win the prize, or some such. As someone commented to me on facebook only yesterday, there are a lot of parallels between faith and discipleship!
Oct 2013
9:42am, 7 Oct 2013
3,048 posts
  •  
Southwales22
slightly off topic here but read you were thinking of the shakespeare half in november - what kind of path is that run on does anyone know? tarmac or gravel or??/
Oct 2013
9:53am, 7 Oct 2013
663 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
Shakespeares half is on an airfield, so presumably Tarmac or concrete?
Oct 2013
1:11pm, 7 Oct 2013
3,049 posts
  •  
Southwales22
thanks, i was hoping so cos it depends on if i will run in my vibrams or dig out some trainers!

have you made your mind up yet on the half or 10k?

About This Thread

Maintained by RevBarbaraG
Oh, dilemmas, dilemmas!!

My first race, in May this year, was the Trailblazer 10K at Clumber Park...