To drop out or not to drop out - Brighton MArathon

2 watchers
Feb 2013
9:16pm, 25 Feb 2013
15,122 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Dont get me wrong, I think anybody can do it, but some people are not ready yet, and some people just don't want to.
If you really wanted to (and were healthy) you would be out plodding so that you know you would enjoy it on the day.
Feb 2013
10:16pm, 25 Feb 2013
9,596 posts
  •  
Argie
Jen - don't worry about your training rate at EETC. GregP63 is a member and never goes (poof).
Feb 2013
10:37pm, 25 Feb 2013
13,711 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I don't believe you can defer or transfer. Therefore whether you choose to drop out now or later it's the same outcome. If you give it a while you might pick it up again.

Much as I love it, the marathon is not the be-all and end-all of running.

Look after yourself and decide nearer the time.
Feb 2013
10:47pm, 25 Feb 2013
4,850 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
As others have suggested see how you feel in a few weeks time
Feb 2013
7:39am, 26 Feb 2013
3,814 posts
  •  
Marts
IMHO, get well, go to Brighton and have a lovely weekend. Do Hove parkrun on the Saturday and soak up the atmosphere of the marathon on the Sunday knowing you'll be there next year :)
Feb 2013
8:36am, 26 Feb 2013
263 posts
  •  
Action Jen
thanks for all the messages,s I am a black or white kind of person and I need to know if I am doing this or not - plus we need to cancel the hotel and get the money back if at all possible.

So, after much thought I have decided to drop out of the marathon, had a cry and then felt as if a massive weight had been lifted off my shoulders, I feel so much better already!

Marts, I love the thought, but I suspect that will make me very upset!

Thank ou for all of your thoughts, Fetchies are great!
Feb 2013
8:38am, 26 Feb 2013
2,180 posts
  •  
Pestomum
If you feel that way it was certainly the correct decision. Well done. I hope you recover properly soon x
Feb 2013
9:25am, 26 Feb 2013
264 posts
  •  
Action Jen
Thanks Pestomum. As my husband said this is a big sign for me, as in the past I would have considered myself invincible, carried on regardless, injured myself or made my illness worse, carried on anyway and then collapsed in a heap, unable to get up again.

But yes, I think feeling this relieved is a sign that it is the right decision!
Feb 2013
3:50pm, 26 Feb 2013
265 posts
  •  
Action Jen
I have written a blog post about it actionjen.wordpress.com

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
So, I am supposed to be running the Brighton marathon in the second week of april and I am having so...