To drop out or not to drop out - Brighton MArathon

2 watchers
Feb 2013
8:05pm, 25 Feb 2013
261 posts
  •  
Action Jen
So, I am supposed to be running the Brighton marathon in the second week of april and I am having some serious thoughts about whether or not I should drop out, or if I am just getting cold feet and need to MTFU.

I am a slow runner (HM - 2hr 40 ish) and my whole plan was just to get around the course- happy to take walking breaks etc. I have been running for over a year, but sporadically due to injury. My injuries are mainly down to hypermobility, which is a lot better since I have transitioned to mid/forefoot striking.

However - I missed the first month of the training due to a fall which tore a hole in my knee and badly bruised the bones. I only started running again when I could walk for more than 30 mins without limping.

I am suffering from serious tiredness, coughing through the night (not during the day) and normally when I wake up at 6am I bounce up and am doing, now I drag myself out of bed at 8am and a couple of times a week I need a good 2-4 hour nap. So not me. I am generally feeling exhausted all the time.

I am investigating it with my dr - had the usual blood tests, chest xray, ruled all of that out, my asthma is under control, and they think it might be one thing (awaiting results) and if it is - great, but it is going to take two anitbiotics AT ONCE for a week to get rid of it. And if it's not that? Who bloody knows.

The longest training run I have done is 15 miles, I went out this weekend to do 18, but I had t quit after 5.5miles as I was so cold, tired and my hip was playing up.

On the other hand, my wonderful husband has booked us a wonderful hotel from friday through to monday morning so I can take advantage of the nice food and hot tub, this would be a major achievement for me, and I have been looking forward to it so much .

However, if I start and DNF I will be devestated.

I am also raising money for charity, but the only person to sponsor me so far is my husband, so that's not an issue, although I do wonder if more people had sponsored me if I would not think of pulling out.

I hate quitting, but equally my health is important.

So, sorry for the long message, but I would love your opinions.

Thanks
Feb 2013
8:17pm, 25 Feb 2013
9,595 posts
  •  
Argie
Would normally suggest HTFU but as you are EETC I would suggest you sound proper ill and need to sort your health first.
Feb 2013
8:26pm, 25 Feb 2013
15,120 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I reckon that if you do it you wil get round, but it will be long and slow and you will hate it. You haven't got the base mileage and it will be a struggle. Its no the done thing to suggest that people can't do marathons, and so I expect to get flamed almost immediately, but you haven't done the training and I reckon you would be better getting yourself fixed up and then coming back next year with more miles under your belt.
There is really no point killing yourself over it, or beating yourself up over a decision to not kill yourself trying.

It is a hobby, its meant to be fun....
Feb 2013
8:29pm, 25 Feb 2013
12,626 posts
  •  
MissChappo
I would suggest not making a decision just yet. I am equally slow and did Brighton last year in 5h31. By the end of Feb my longest run was 12 miles but by the time I ran it I had managed to get up to 20. The marathon was very hard but just about do-able. Hopefully if you start to feel better or the doc can sort you out there may still be time. Best to get the doc (and Argie's) advice though.
Feb 2013
8:36pm, 25 Feb 2013
14,801 posts
  •  
Stumpy
i'd say health is most important and far better to regroup and make other plans to come back stronger later. much better to do that than damage yourself struggling round and hating every second and injuring yourself. but i am one of those for whom running should be fun and shouldn't be painful. x

PS marathons aren't everything. remember, it's supposed to be FUN.
Feb 2013
8:50pm, 25 Feb 2013
262 posts
  •  
Action Jen
Thanks,, you have given me a lot to think about!

Argie, I feel a bit if a cheat to say I am eetc, as I hardly train with them, but am starting to now.

Johnnyo , I have been thinking that maybe I am just not cut out for a marathon. I love doing muddy 10ks and maybe I should focus in that!

Miss Chappo, that's positive thinking?

Stumpy, I agree it should be fun and I have really lost sight of that!
Feb 2013
8:50pm, 25 Feb 2013
3,602 posts
  •  
Badger
Completely agree with JohnnyO & Stumpy.
I've never DNFd, but a fair few I've DNSd because I reckoned I wouldn't be able to finish. No regrets about any of 'em.
Feb 2013
9:00pm, 25 Feb 2013
12,627 posts
  •  
MissChappo
Maybe too positive AJ! You need to go with how you feel.
Feb 2013
9:04pm, 25 Feb 2013
11,135 posts
  •  
*jono*
Action Jen - its not as if there will never ever ever be another Marathon held? sort your self out 1st - lifes quite long really
Feb 2013
9:12pm, 25 Feb 2013
529 posts
  •  
Da Big Guy
MissChappo is right - don't make a decision just yet - maybe 8 weeks would a better time.

Otherwise, beware that the Marathon exploits weaknesses like you can't know unless it's happened to you. I once tried a Marathon after a heavy cold the weak before (and otherwise my taining had gone like a dream). I felt bad at 13, run/walked at 16 and finally stopped at 20. That afternoon i was incredibly weak and realy really ill. I was thankful that I had not tried to do the other 6.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
So, I am supposed to be running the Brighton marathon in the second week of april and I am having so...