Brighton Marathon 2020

15 watchers
Oct 2020
7:36am, 23 Oct 2020
3,401 posts
  •  
Wombling Plodder (Welsh Womble)
I was thinking the same Surrey Phil - I know that there are going to be event clashes like GNR but to have two large events in the same place on the same day!!!

I have an event the weekend before which I need to confirm by next weekend. I think I am just going to roll with it and see what happens. I wouldn’t want to be in Events Management at the moment.
JJJ
Oct 2020
12:38pm, 26 Oct 2020
143 posts
  •  
JJJ
Normally the council maintain a list of all events - they send us a copy for parkrun so we know what's happening in the park - they've taken their eye off the ball if they've booked both for the same weekend!

There's no way marathon and cycle ride can both fit into Madeira Drive so if they are on the same day one would have to move; traffic and trains are congested for both events so that would make both at the same time almost impossible.
Oct 2020
9:38am, 27 Oct 2020
5,117 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I received an e-mail back from Grounded Events as I asked for their comments. After explaining that 12 September is the best date available, they said:

"Brighton & Hove council are aware of both events and have signed them off with the go-ahead. Alongside the council, we will be keeping a close eye on Government guidelines and will of course be in discussions throughout next year to ensure that both events can go ahead safely."

I looked at the Bike Ride website and they still say that it will finish on Madeira Drive. I organise a 10k and, one year, a local council were concerned that a bike ride was passing just over two miles away. Apart from changing the marathon course entirely, there's no way the Bike Ride can reach the sea front. I can only think that their event will either terminate short of Preston Park (providing the marathon starts earlier and the elite start line at Withdean is cleared) or be diverted away from Brighton city centre altogether.
Oct 2020
10:00am, 27 Oct 2020
47,196 posts
  •  
McGoohan
A lot of L2B type events end up at the racecourse, so maybe.... But currently this sounds like an absolutely terrible idea.
JJJ
Oct 2020
12:10pm, 27 Oct 2020
144 posts
  •  
JJJ
Cyclists would love to finish at the racecourse - a big hill to ride up at the very end - just like the Tour de France :)

Bike riders start coming in at about 0900 and continue til late afternoon so definitely overlap marathon time.

The 2 routes don't meet until Lewes Road around mile 5 where marathon goes round the block and back towards the sea, so bikes would have to go to Stanmer Park (only one entrance/exit), University, Amex Stadium or Marina (big hill up then down).

Presumably cyclists like beer /coffee /food /icecream afterwards and some want the train home so an out of town finish won't give those.

I can't imagine marathon route could be changed enough to allow bikes to use Madeira Drive.

Sounds like madness to do them both the same day!
Oct 2020
12:11pm, 27 Oct 2020
47,201 posts
  •  
McGoohan
They don't allow bikes on trains the day of the L2B JJJ, or IIRC the day before and day after!
Nov 2020
9:39am, 10 Nov 2020
5,201 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I contacted the L2B organisers and they have been asked by Brighton Council to move their date to make way for the marathon. So the only bikes in the city that day will be for the BM Ride. Hopefully they too will be out of the way be the time the marathon finishes, as in 2019.
Nov 2020
11:43am, 10 Nov 2020
3,452 posts
  •  
Wombling Plodder (Welsh Womble)
Thanks for the update
Nov 2020
12:27pm, 10 Nov 2020
187 posts
  •  
George Smiley
There was I hoping for some nostalgic mods v rockers showdown!

Good news that is being sorted, thanks for finding out
JJJ
Nov 2020
10:00am, 25 Nov 2020
146 posts
  •  
JJJ
I've (optimistically!) started the 2021 thread here :)

fetcheveryone.com/forum/brighton-marathon-2021-61706

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Surrey Phil
The eleventh Brighton Marathon has been cancelled and is being replaced by The Edit on Sunday 11 October. Either run a virtual marathon between 30 September and 11 October or run 20 miles during the same period and complete the final 6.2 miles along the seafront.