What is the reason behind 'coming out'

17 watchers
Feb 2020
2:15pm, 8 Feb 2020
1,739 posts
  •  
Trin
Jono, that is the crux of what I'm trying to say.

I am exactly the same, the only paper we occasionally pick up is the free expat one purely for the fire, and I won't give a moment of my time on social media to anyone spouting shite either
Feb 2020
2:28pm, 8 Feb 2020
6,615 posts
  •  
Jono.
Mind you trin I'm waiting for someone to challenge my view of shite and ask if I'm being subjective enough.
Feb 2020
2:53pm, 8 Feb 2020
2,900 posts
  •  
Wombling Plodder (Welsh Womble)
No doubt more speculation /facts will be published soon.

When you live in the public world it is about taking control before garbage is published and you are out of control - unfortunately that is the world we now live in.

Another way to think about it is why did Gareth Thomas have to publish 2 very personal messages to the world - because the gutter press were just about to share his news and because us the general public think we have a right to know (I am generalising here). To watch his heart wrenching announcements made me question the world we live in even more - first you put the knife in then you turn it slowly and painfully.

The press, social media and blood thirsty people have a lot to answer for.

Right rant over, I am retreating back into my own lovely bubble and one day hope that all the lovely bubbles merge into one peace loving world.
Feb 2020
2:53pm, 8 Feb 2020
9,964 posts
  •  
Joopsy
I think we both want the same society Trin, it’s just accepting where we are right now and how long it takes.
Feb 2020
3:15pm, 8 Feb 2020
1,740 posts
  •  
Trin
WP, what garbage? And if the papers report garbage it doesn't mean we have to buy into it. If Schofield hadn't have come out so publicly the papers wouldn't have a story. Philip Schofield is gay... so what? There are more interesting things going on in the world to report on. Schofield himself made it a news item.

As for Gareth Thomas, I think part of his coming out to the public was about what I said in a previous post, sending a message to boys who want to play in a male dominated sport that it's ok to be gay in that arena, that you can still succeed at what you love
Feb 2020
3:30pm, 8 Feb 2020
9,965 posts
  •  
Joopsy
You’re judging the media on your views Trin, like me you don’t buy into it so it won’t sway your opinion, sadly millions do.

And Gareth Thomas was forced to come out and hurriedly tell his parents and family because the papers told him they were publishing it. He never had the luxury of doing it in his own time, as far as the papers are concerned that is not his right as he is public property.
Feb 2020
3:48pm, 8 Feb 2020
1,741 posts
  •  
Trin
But that is actually it Joopsy, it's only a story if people continue to keep the stigma attached to being gay.
Feb 2020
3:48pm, 8 Feb 2020
1,742 posts
  •  
Trin
Which is what Schofield did by being so public
Feb 2020
3:52pm, 8 Feb 2020
2,902 posts
  •  
Wombling Plodder (Welsh Womble)
Thanks Joopsy, you have put it so much better than I could.

Trin, like Joopsy says, others don't see the world the same as us. You and I don't buy into what the press say but the wider world does. Perhaps your circle of family, colleagues and acquaintances are nicer than mine.

As for Gareth Thomas it was much more than a message for the lads. The press were barbaric in their thirst for blood especially once they found out that he was HIV positive.

I think we will need to agree to disagree on this, even if we are both on the same page.
Feb 2020
4:04pm, 8 Feb 2020
9,966 posts
  •  
Joopsy
I agree Trin, but it’s the media that is controlling the narrative and they need the stigma to shift copies. People don’t buy papers for good news.

About This Thread

Maintained by
So Schofield came out as gay today, which is great that he doesn't have to pretend to be someon...