What is the reason behind 'coming out'

17 watchers
Feb 2020
10:05am, 9 Feb 2020
4,480 posts
  •  
1step2far
Yep Joopsy. They use the same tired lines but do nothing to change things themselves. :-(
Feb 2020
10:17am, 9 Feb 2020
60,789 posts
  •  
swittle
By chance, Jack Gold's revealing 1975 film about the life of Quentin Crisp was shown last night. 45 years ago in London [and most likely elsewhere], an 'effeminate homosexual', as Crisp described himself, was subject to habitual discrimination in the form of physical and verbal attack. When Crisp tried to join the army in WW2, he was exempted on the grounds that he 'was suffering from sexual perversion'.

John Hurt is outstanding as Crisp.

Certain themes of 45 years ago and now seem to recur.
Feb 2020
11:33am, 9 Feb 2020
1,569 posts
  •  
Flatlander
In my blog of 27th January (I hope some of you realise the significance of that date) I wrote about how prejudice and intolerance (of anything that doesn't meet one's own narrow view) still abound and how we must counter those attitudes.

Yes, these days there is generally more acceptance of differences, driven in large part by legislation, but I felt that in the last 3 1/2 years there has been a regression in attitudes as some people have given themselves "permission" to behave discriminatingly, and even physically, towards others.

That is why people still have to be wary of declaring who they are.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
So Schofield came out as gay today, which is great that he doesn't have to pretend to be someon...