Torn/strained ligament in ankle

3 watchers
Sep 2011
11:27pm, 1 Sep 2011
5,178 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
Roughly how long would I expect the pain to last before it gets less?

I went over on my ankle and tore or strained a ligament five days ago. The doctor at Minor Injuries wasn't quite sure, though leaned towards saying it might be torn. Since then, I have rested, iced and elevated it and taken ibuprofen.

The swelling and impressive colouring seems to be going down, but it is still very sore and I can hardly hobble about - in fact, I think it has been more sore today than before. Moving it about a bit seems to do it good, whereas it was especially sore this morning after having kept it still for a few hours (even though I did set my alarm twice during the night just to move it about a bit).

Is this the normal course of it and to be expected?

Otherwise, I would make another doctor's appointment, but since the weekend is coming up, this might be a bit more difficult. Basically, I'm wondering whether it is normal enough and would have time until Monday just in case I needed to see a doctor again. Thanks!
Sep 2011
11:34pm, 1 Sep 2011
5,179 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
In the beginning, the whle foot and ankle area seemed to be sore and I could move it far less than now.

Now, it seems especially sore right where that bit of bone sticks out at the ankle. Mostly at its very tip, but also the rest of it, and about 4 cms above it. This bit seems more sore than before, whereas I can touch the rest of the foot without any pain.
Sep 2011
8:07am, 2 Sep 2011
484 posts
  •  
miss lippy
It sounds like it may be healing though if the pain has become less severe etc SA, so that's good news. I went over on my ankle in early July a few times during a fell race and thought a few weeks rest would see it right but i ended up going to physio to get a proper diagnosis and advice on how to get it better quicker because it seemed to be taking forever. Mine had swollen quite a bit and ended up pretty sore to the touch. I bypass the doc because unfortunately mine is a) disinterested and b) clueless it would appear when it comes to running injuries. my advice would be to go to a decent physio who should point you in the right direction, whether that's further medical investigations or a series of stretches/excercises to help it heal.

Hope it heals quickly :)
Sep 2011
8:26am, 2 Sep 2011
20,680 posts
  •  
cabletow
So miss lippy you are happy to judge all drs on the basis of yours and all physis are good at sports injuries because your one is.

But the advice you give re the fact it sounds as if it is healing seems sound.

Generally bad sprains take

10 days to scar up and 6 weeks to return to full function. However residual tenderness can persist for 6 months.

The best way (as evidence shows) to speed up full function and nuero muscular reception is by propriorecptive retraining. You will have heard of the balance board etc but you can do your own by balancing on one leg (the bad one) - do this for 5 min 2-3 x a day and make it tricky by doing something with your arms at the same time. Something like cleaning your teeth.

After ten days start to move the ankle through its full range of movement. Drae the alphabet out with your foot and when you can stand on one leg pain free start running slowly
Sep 2011
9:17am, 2 Sep 2011
487 posts
  •  
miss lippy
No not at all cabletow and if it read like that it wasn't intended. I just gave my opinion of my own GP who appears pretty clueless full stop. i just happen to have manged to find a really good physio who has helped a great deal with sporting ailments and didn't suggest that all physios are good
Sep 2011
9:22am, 2 Sep 2011
5,181 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
Thank you, Miss Lippy and Cabletow!

Cabletow, at what point should I start with the balance training? At the moment, I'm avoiding moving my foot at all - I can put weight on it alright, but as soon as I roll over it like in walking, it's quite painful.

Miss Lippy, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear - the pain seems to be getting worse instead of better.
Sep 2011
9:23am, 2 Sep 2011
5,182 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
Also, does icing still make sense or is the period in which it does over by now?
Sep 2011
9:24am, 2 Sep 2011
488 posts
  •  
miss lippy
Oh sorry SA, i've obviously misread. If it helps i was advised to do the kind of excercises that cabletow recommends (as recommended by my physio) and my ankle is definitely on the mend after 2 months. good luck with it all :)
Sep 2011
9:35am, 2 Sep 2011
4,699 posts
  •  
Stander
I went over three times at the Thunder Run and my foot is still tender now some 5 weeks latter. I still have to stick to shorter distances and am swimming a lot but it is getting there. Of course everyone is different and I never went to the doc or anyone else to take a look at it.
Does your foot look anything like this?

[IMAGE]
Sep 2011
9:40am, 2 Sep 2011
5,183 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
Ouch, Stander. Yes, mine looks a bit like that - less swollen now six days later, but still way more purple, especially around the boney bit of the ankle.

Thanks, Miss Lippy, glad to hear that you're on the mend. I was mostly concerned because the pain seems to be getting worse instead of better, but if that is normal and I just need to be more patient, then I'm relieved. :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by SpicedApple
Roughly how long would I expect the pain to last before it gets less?

I went over on my ankle an...