1 watcher
Jul 2017
12:08pm, 22 Jul 2017
17 posts
  •  
Mushypeas
Hi

Came across this: runnersworld.com

To what extent are %world class times used as primary results filter In amateur races?

Seems a good idea to me
Jul 2017
2:18pm, 22 Jul 2017
13,905 posts
  •  
Dvorak
You mean, that instead of results and prizes being determined by finishing time, they are determined by WAVA? Afaik, never.

If you look at anyone's race results here, WAVA % is listed (as long as gender/age have been specified) and parkrun lists it as well.
Jul 2017
5:06pm, 22 Jul 2017
18 posts
  •  
Mushypeas
Yes. That's what I meant. Glad the wava seems to be reported alongside results. I'd quite like to see results categorised that way at amateur level. But I'm a newbie so realise I don't understand the history of this
Jul 2017
10:08pm, 22 Jul 2017
13,908 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I think that the history is just that races have always been about being the fastest to cross the line. There are some variations, like awarding gender and age group prizes (or having gender or age specific races, as is done more in track running) or less commonly handicap races (which was also often used in professional racing, when there was a division).

Using WAVA, apart from being much more complicated (and open to abuse) would also have some wrinkles due to some quirks in the base WAVA figures, especially in the women's super- and ultra- veteran rankings. For example top WAVA at my local parkrun is 99.30% (SW 65-69) and she's not even our age-group world record holder (only 97.31 %) (her record was also a different distance). I think there is even the odd 100% plus around.

parkrun.org.uk

Of course, you could do something about it :-). Quite a few Fetchies have organised their own races, perhaps you could do one and stipulate that WAVA will be the criterion for results and prizes?
Jul 2017
10:18pm, 22 Jul 2017
19 posts
  •  
Mushypeas
Thanks!

Until a month ago I hadn't run in 4 years and hadn't run seriously in 6 years. So I think I need to start easing myself back in before organising a race!

But idc who knows!?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hi

Came across this: runnersworld.com

To what extent are...