The Glass Hotel - May 2023 Book Group discussion thread

11 watchers
Jun 2023
7:19pm, 18 Jun 2023
13,631 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
As promised, my review.

My second book by this author and although it's very different I think I liked this even more than Station Eleven. I didn't have any idea of what it was going to be about so it took a while to get used to the structure and different narrators. But almost from the start I knew I was going to enjoy it. I like the way she writes, it feels lyrical to me and sweeps me along.

I thought it was a good way to tell the story with little snapshots of lives that were loosely connected. Different parts reminded me of previous book club choices - Then We Came To The End for the financial section and Down To The Sea In Ships for the boat sections so this was a happy bonus :-)

I can guess that the fragmentary nature might be irritating for some and that the story can be seen as slight but for me these were a positive. It felt like something that was broken and reassembled, it's not complete but you have enough of it to know what the whole thing is. I liked the unfinished aspect of everyone's stories.

My major criticism is that I read it on Kindle and I think it would have been better as a physical book. It didn't lend itself to short pages as that slightly ruined the reading experience for me.

I'm giving this book an 8 and I'll definitely be looking for more of her books.
Jun 2023
7:30pm, 18 Jun 2023
13,632 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I've read back now and I think that everything that Dio hates about this book is why I love it :-)

Thank you to quimby for choosing it!
Jun 2023
7:45pm, 18 Jun 2023
6,255 posts
  •  
quimby
Nice review, LN. I hate reviewing books, it feels like homework (am I going to get kicked out of book club for saying that?), but I agree with what you've said, apart from I read it on Kindle and didn't feel it suffered for it.
Jun 2023
8:48pm, 18 Jun 2023
79,690 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I didn’t hate it, I just didn’t think it was very good. I gave it a 6.
Jun 2023
8:59pm, 18 Jun 2023
13,633 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
It's just that sometimes I feel that I read too fast. It's not a problem for most books but when it comes to one I'm really enjoying I want to slow down slightly. Because I'm using my phone for the Kindle edition the pages are very short so this makes it feel worse. Totally just a problem for me :-)
Jun 2023
7:04am, 19 Jun 2023
13,634 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Missed your comment yesterday, Dio. Fair enough, you didn't hate it.

McG - did you not finish it for similar reasons? It would be interesting to see if there's an overlap in the books you both enjoy.
Jun 2023
8:20am, 19 Jun 2023
146,287 posts
  •  
GregP
There's always an overlap - on many (most?) books - including this one - Dio and I have opposite views - we still have a bunch of common ground though.
Nov 2023
1:28pm, 1 Nov 2023
7,833 posts
  •  
westmoors
Finally got this through the library. Really enjoyed it until the final stages; just didn't like the 'ghost' narrating the last part. Didn't mind the loose ends although I would have liked to have known more about what happened to Paul.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Elevator gooooooooooing up.

First floor: haberdashery and pirate costumes
Second floor: bedding, household goods, guns and ammo
Third floor: secret laboratory
Fourth floor: gateway to a hell dimension, shoes, boots and cleaning materials
Fifth floor: bookshop

Now. Book. Glass Hotel, The.

Thoughts?

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 112,355 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here