Support thread for students, mature and otherwise...

34 watchers
Apr 2014
6:34pm, 7 Apr 2014
1,893 posts
  •  
FreshStart
I think that I need to talk through my concerns with someone at the university (other than my supervisor).

I was really interested in my topic at the start of my PhD but after three years I've lost all interest.

I don't help myself as I keep looking at how much more (papers, conferences etc) other students who started at the same time as me have done.
Apr 2014
6:42pm, 7 Apr 2014
1,594 posts
  •  
Squares
I'm studying for a degree in Theology part time, which is a far cry from my PhD in Biochemistry which I completed nearly 20 :-O years ago!

The first year you love it, the second year you get into it, the third year you hate it... and in my case I completed in my fourth year after a bit of a rethink and lots of extra lab work!
Apr 2014
6:49pm, 7 Apr 2014
1,149 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
I'm constantly sharing my home with broken/bored/disillusioned Phd students. My wife's solution is to drag them back here to the farm and mother them. I'm told she has a high success rate in reinvigorating them. Perhaps its the fresh mountain air...
Apr 2014
7:01pm, 7 Apr 2014
1,110 posts
  •  
LindsD
Ooh, perhaps you can run a residential 'rediscover your mojo' course. I'd be up for it!
Apr 2014
7:02pm, 7 Apr 2014
1,111 posts
  •  
LindsD
FS, have you looked through the graduate school to see whether there is anyone? I had 2 x 20 min sessions with a brilliant woman who really helped. The sessions are advertised as PhDilemmas and are confidential and for anyone who is struggling with anything, supervisor, workload, loss of focus, etc. (for me it was all of those....)
Apr 2014
7:03pm, 7 Apr 2014
1,112 posts
  •  
LindsD
Welcome Squares and thanks for the insight. Mine is theoretical, so no lab work.
Apr 2014
7:06pm, 7 Apr 2014
1,894 posts
  •  
FreshStart
As far as I'm aware we only have a student counselling service. I'll have a look at the Graduate School website.

The PhDilemma sessions sound great :-)

My supervisor is very good/patient but doesn't understand why I can't just "sit down, focus and get my arse into gear"

He is a workaholic.
Apr 2014
9:09pm, 7 Apr 2014
1,113 posts
  •  
LindsD
Yes, mine too. And very hyper-critical.

The PhDilemma sessions come under graduate training, not counselling. I'll fmail you the details if I can find them and perhaps you can suggest it to the graduate school, if you've got the energy :)
Apr 2014
9:19pm, 7 Apr 2014
1,895 posts
  •  
FreshStart
The link worked thanks :-)

I'll send it to the relevant people at my uni :-)
Apr 2014
9:21pm, 7 Apr 2014
1,116 posts
  •  
LindsD
It was really helpful. Are you funded? When do you have to submit?

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
All students, old, young, full or part-time, at any level, welcome here. There are also some poacher turned gamekeeper tutors hanging around....