Sheffield types

2 watchers
Dec 2018
3:45pm, 31 Dec 2018
8,285 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Sheffield *is* hills! :-)

Loxley common is (from memory as it's been a few years since I was up there) quite nice to run over.

Rivelin is quite hilly, yes
Dec 2018
3:55pm, 31 Dec 2018
8,286 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Also, from memory, there's a fp that runs all the way from Loxley Common over the fields to High Bradfield and Adgen res - not sure where it comes out exactly, but it keeps the height and then you drop down to the res after folllowing the fp past the church (cracking views) and the old bailey hill.

There's a bit of on/off road hopping (but those roads are pretty quiet) round the res, then drop down to Low Bradfield and pick up the permissive path on the S side of Damflask.

I've never been down them, but I know there are footpaths that basically follow the loxley (river) all the way back to Malin Bridge.

Here's where you could add the fun by climbing up over Stanington (the map suggests some wooded paths up Acorn Hill) and then drop down into Rivelin and climb back up the other side of the valley to Crosspool.

If it were me, I might catch the tram from the city centre to Hillsborough park, and then run up the hill to Loxley Common from there. Avoids the boring run along Middlewood Road into Hillsborough.
Dec 2018
4:02pm, 31 Dec 2018
20,408 posts
  •  
Maclennane
I agree with Fozzy. There's not much joy to be had running in central Sheff, but plenty on the outskirts. Me, I'd get the 51 to Crosspool, run up the crags to wyming brook , follow it down to Rivelin dams and through the Rivelin Valley back to Malin bridge, and sod Dam Flask.
Dec 2018
4:50pm, 31 Dec 2018
8,899 posts
  •  
Joopsy
I will have the car so can drive up there. I don't fancy the bus action as Wednesday are at home and I dont want to mix with those sorts. I know the centre very well as I went a lot as a kid, I just haven't been as a runner so struggle with routes.
Jan 2019
1:59pm, 2 Jan 2019
20,411 posts
  •  
Maclennane
If Wednesday are at home, you want to be avoiding Malin Bridge/Hillsborough altogether. How far are you looking to run, I'm sure one of us has a decent circular route drawn up that you could use.
Jan 2019
3:11pm, 2 Jan 2019
8,903 posts
  •  
Joopsy
20 miles Mac
Jan 2019
3:11pm, 2 Jan 2019
8,904 posts
  •  
Joopsy
But 2 x 10 is fine.
Jan 2019
3:13pm, 2 Jan 2019
20,416 posts
  •  
Maclennane
here's one fetcheveryone.com/routes-view.php?id=197073
Jan 2019
3:15pm, 2 Jan 2019
20,417 posts
  •  
Maclennane
or two of these fetcheveryone.com/routes-view.php?id=364438
Jan 2019
3:35pm, 2 Jan 2019
10,956 posts
  •  
Cavey
I would've happily run along Infirmary Road to Hillsborough and then up through Malin Bridge and Loxley to Damflask, as it is mostly flat (by Sheffield standards). I don't mind tarmac and concrete and stuff that looks a bit shit.

However, its match day. So would avoid after about midday. I believe Luton are bringing 5,000+ too.

About This Thread

Maintained by Joopsy
Can I run from the centre (Kelham island'ish) to Damflask without fear of getting squashed by a...