Scrabblethon

4 watchers
Apr 2022
9:22am, 6 Apr 2022
68,704 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I didn't see this before. I follow stricter rules when playing - you can't look up or check a word before playing it. If someone challenges you and it is not a valid word then you forfeit your go. I don't impose a set time limit on goes, this is more controlled by the impatience and frustration of others.

I don't like playing online against randoms because I generally get the impression they cheat.
Apr 2022
9:24am, 6 Apr 2022
9,051 posts
  •  
GordonG
wow i've just read from the beginning of the thread without realising it was years old!!

rules in our house (if we're playing 'full on competition' version and not 'let's have some friends round for fun' version):

no looking in the dictionary
doesn't matter if you don't know the meaning of the word
incorrect word = no score, miss your go
incorrect challenge = miss your next go
incorrect word by your opponent scores some points = tough on you, you should have challenged :-)

The 'fun' version generally means no words that you don't use in real life like Xu or Za, although we make allowances for Qi (and Qis) as it's a great way to get rid of Q

one issue we've found is that the smaller dictionary we have has some everyday words missing (recentish example: taser), while the large dictionary we have covers UK, SA and Australia and so you get words listed in there which we wouldn't ever use (or, spell that way at least).

sorry, never used PS.com, Happy.
Apr 2022
9:30am, 6 Apr 2022
41,943 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I don't play randoms online. I play my Mum, my sis and sometimes my son. I also play the computer (for practice!). I don't "cheat" online (by using a dictionary or anagram checker or anything), but I do "try" words that I don't know whether they are correct or what they mean. That means online you can def get a better score. But my Mum does the same, so it's even stevens!

Anyone else play online, and any variations of app, playscrabble.com and/or Facebook?

I like your "incorrect challenge, miss next go" to stop the no consequence, continual challenger GordonG?!

Cheers, :-) G
Apr 2022
9:43am, 6 Apr 2022
2,396 posts
  •  
iRicey
Wonder what 5 years and all those lockdowns has done to Lord Fetch's scrabble score?
Apr 2022
11:29am, 6 Apr 2022
9,052 posts
  •  
GordonG
I thought the 'incorrect challenge, miss next go' rule was a proper Scrabble rule, as written in the instructions.
Apr 2022
11:45am, 6 Apr 2022
68,715 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Yes, I'm sure that's the right Gordon.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Are you involved in a Scrabblethon with someone? Post the number of wins you each have, and also the sum total of your points, if you record them. Or don't, I don't mind.

Scoreboard
=======
KatieB 1 (589) Fetch 1 (639)
Happy G(rrr) 99 Sist(rrr) 11