Scrabblethon

4 watchers
Dec 2017
1:26pm, 18 Dec 2017
6,868 posts
  •  
Merrytonia
We stopped playing for points years ago. My eighty-something in-laws are quite tough opponents though.
Dec 2017
2:09pm, 18 Dec 2017
27,974 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas & Happy New G(rrr)
Back to my question about what rules does everyone play by when playing at home (for fun!)

What rules do you play when you play "real" Scrabble? If it's "maybe not a word", do you forfeit your go if someone challenges you and it's wrong? Or just have another go? Do you consult the dictionary? Is a player allowed to consult a dictionary for their own proposed word to "check it's right"? (In online Scrabble I'm really bad for trying 10 random, might be words and getting the best score even if I had no idea it was a word. Can't do that in real Scrabble!) If you challenge and it *is* a legit word, does the challenger lose their next go?

My missus had a good rule, which was that in addition to thinking it was a word, you had to say what you thought it meant. You didn't lose your go if you got it wrong, but my goodness it showed that we might have thought we'd seen a word before, but were completely wrong about what we thought it meant! :-) G
Dec 2017
2:29pm, 18 Dec 2017
2,223 posts
  •  
westmoors
Used to play a lot of Scrabble, but for some reason we haven't played for a while.

Our rules are:

- no looking up words before your go
- words are only checked if someone challenges them
- if not legit, player has another go, but maximum of 2 tries
- challenger does not forfeit go if word was legit
Dec 2017
2:33pm, 18 Dec 2017
27,975 posts
  •  
Sounds reasonable WM. I'll have to ban myself from looking stuff up unless it's to really "check"! We're using the 1950s wooden tile set that my Granny and Granddad and my Dad used to use in Christmases 50 plus years ago! :-) G
Dec 2017
5:13pm, 18 Dec 2017
6,878 posts
  •  
Merrytonia
A friend is a commercial photographer who's worked for scrabble; you've probably seen his hand on a box. We used his dutch set for a game once, only four points for the J.

We play that you have to say what you think the word means (if an unusual or doubtful word) - but no sanction for getting it wrong. Other than that, as per westmoors rules.
Dec 2017
9:35am, 21 Dec 2017
18,819 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Following some luck with high-scoring letters, I've restored the deadlock, and also sneaked into the lead in the points tally :-)

KatieB 1 (589) Fetch 1 (639)
Dec 2017
3:35pm, 26 Dec 2017
18,826 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Katie returns to form with SUCTION, and regains the lead:

KatieB 2 (922) Fetch 1 (928)

But I'm still ahead on points :-)
Dec 2017
1:00pm, 27 Dec 2017
27,997 posts
  •  
Lost once to my Mum over Christmas but one win too! Happy Christmas Scrabblers. :-) G
Jan 2018
11:27am, 3 Jan 2018
28,008 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Mum's 100 odd points ahead of me already in online Scrabble. Go Mum! :-) G
Apr 2022
9:08am, 6 Apr 2022
41,941 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I thought rather than start a new one, I'd resurrect Fetch's own Scrabble thread!

Widening it out a bit, does anyone play Scrabble online? If so, do you use web, an app, play via Facebook or how?

My Mum and I play via the Scrabble app. It used to be Scrabble on Facebook (by EA Games) but has been taken over by Scopely and is now an app. And it's stopped working on my Mum's old Chromebook computer.

So I'm investigating "playscrabble.com". Anyone used that? :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Are you involved in a Scrabblethon with someone? Post the number of wins you each have, and also the sum total of your points, if you record them. Or don't, I don't mind.

Scoreboard
=======
KatieB 1 (589) Fetch 1 (639)
Happy G(rrr) 99 Sist(rrr) 11