Running in all black at night

6 watchers
Nov 2019
7:14pm, 28 Nov 2019
11,640 posts
  •  
Badger
I agree with Dio. A while back I was riding on what was then an unlit and very dark ped/bike shared path, over a bridge. I could see a tiny white dot in the distance. Turned out that it was a tiny reflective logo on a black backpack worn by someone with dark hair and entirely dressed in black. Really didn't take much to catch my eye, but without it I would not have seen them until I was a lot closer, even though I had a very bright front light (I am not in the set of Cambridge cyclists Cerre describes).

If you're sharing the space with anyone, it makes sense to be visible, and often a reflective band is enough to do that.
Nov 2019
7:26pm, 28 Nov 2019
7,895 posts
  •  
becca7
Yes, I think this is something that pedestrians need to be aware of too. I've got a reflector on my rucksack and some snap-on reflectors for my arms as I walk about a mile in the dark to get home and cars turning into junctions don't always indicate and many of those don't look for pedestrians.
Nov 2019
7:37pm, 28 Nov 2019
3,357 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Guilty as charged. I don't have a head torch but run only on pavements where there are streetlights.
Nov 2019
11:41pm, 28 Nov 2019
505 posts
  •  
Turtlemama
I'm pretty sure it's general guidelines that children's winter coats/jackets have to have some reflective bits, however small. Even the turtle's school issue book bag has a reflective strip. A friend has told me how in (I think) Iceland, it's mandatory for all pedestrians, and tbh I can't see why it isn't here. Last winter I attended ma job where a male, dressed all in black, had thought it was a good idea to walk across a 3 lane dual carriageway at night. A fractured pelvis, nearly amputated arm and a pneumothorax later, I hope he had second thoughts.

Anyway, there are no pavements round the house here. At night I run in reflective clothing and a very very bright chest torch. Even local dog walkers wear high viz. Not to do so would be suicidal.
Nov 2019
11:55pm, 28 Nov 2019
1,049 posts
  •  
Love Lettuce
I was out for a run this evening and the teenage boy walking ahead of me was wearing a woolly bobble hat with reflective specks on - like stars. It worked a treat. I'm going to try and find one for my self!
Nov 2019
12:05am, 29 Nov 2019
10,629 posts
  •  
MazH
I think the speckle bobble hats are Ron hill if I recall LL
Nov 2019
7:19am, 29 Nov 2019
9,624 posts
  •  
larkim
Trainers always have good reflective segments on them.
Nov 2019
11:33am, 29 Nov 2019
58,884 posts
  •  
swittle
During night runs, I used to see dogs kitted out with collars fitted with lights of many colours. See 'em for 400 yards with an unresticted view.

I recall there being a 'running Santa' in the days I dallied on ForceBack.
Nov 2019
11:35am, 29 Nov 2019
33,444 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
ninja

I think it's daft because you are moving quickly and quietly and are more likely to hit or be hit in the dark. But that's just me. I don't think it's a hanging offence though. :-) G
Nov 2019
11:39am, 29 Nov 2019
1,051 posts
  •  
Love Lettuce
On my run last night I also saw a westie with a high viz vest. It showed up very well on a playing field unlit except for my head torch. His owner was completely invisible though - I only saw her when she turned round in surprise as I passed. She had dark trousers and a black parka with the hood up (it was raining, so she might have had eyes down and not seen the light until I was quote close).

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Spotted this in the polls, and I have something of a contrary view that wasn't allowed for in t...