Runners Knee Maybe? - Advice Anybody?

2 watchers
Nov 2012
9:32pm, 20 Nov 2012
652 posts
  •  
Pinkliverbird
Just wondered if anyone out there may be able to give me some info or advice.

I think I may have developed runner's knee but not 100% sure. I have been running for about two and a half years, mainly marathons (with half marathons used as training runs). During the past two weeks I have developed a slight pain around the front of my knee cap. Not too painful to stop running, but it's there. Can at times feel like a bruise.

About 2-3 months ago I bought a new pair of running shoes, the same make and type since I've been running but the most recent upgrade (went from Saucony Hurricane 13 to Hurricane 14). I was alternating my running with the Hurricane 13's and 14's. I have been building the mileage up slowly with the new ones and have only done at the most a half marathon in them. My last race with the 14's was a 10 miler with no problems. After the 10 miler I had a two week break then started some treadmill running. It is here I first noticed the discomfort. It didn't happen the first time, maybe 2nd. It doesn't happen immediately, but after about 20 - 30 mins. Went out for a road run and the same thing happened - after about 20 mins my knee started to feel a slight pain.

The pain is not too bad and is easy to keep running through. I have always built my mileage slowly and never had any problems with my knee before. It's only after this 2 week break since the 10 miler I have had this problem. I did run quite hard on the treadmill, but only for a couple of minutes at a time.

Does anyone have any suggestions of the cause, or advice on combating the problem and is this runners knee?
Nov 2012
8:59am, 21 Nov 2012
4 posts
  •  
MattyMatysek
Runners knee is a nightmare and although its the worst feeling in the world, stopping midrun it's a must. Every runner can run through out of pride and determination but its silly. I ran through some pain in August and was out of running for over a month! I was petrified that I'd peaked and that my knees would never be the same again. I saw a physio and he wrote me a strict icing plan that I had to stick to religiously and gave me some massages to do. My runners knee was cured it just needs a bit of time and some looking after and if you're lucky it's gone forever. If you see a physio and they get rid of it you'll know how to cure it if it does crop up again... Hope I could help. Remember ice ice ice
Nov 2012
9:11am, 21 Nov 2012
18,151 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
The most common cause of runners knee is body weight causing the knee to flex more than necessary after landing.
This happens when the landing point is ahead of you with the leg almost straight and the knee subsequently flexes under load.
It's easy to spot people who are at risk of developing runners knee, they have a slow leg turn over and almost always a heel strike.
The long-term cure is to stop doing the thing that causes the issue in the first place.
Nov 2012
10:08am, 29 Nov 2012
25 posts
  •  
colettedeann
i dont have advise - sorry - but thanks for the advise on here - i woke this morning with pain in right outer knee this morning (had a tiny twinge before run last night) - so cancelling run today and am off to get the ice :/
Dec 2012
11:24pm, 7 Dec 2012
710 posts
  •  
Pinkliverbird
Thanks for the advice. Will see a physio and hopefully it will become a thing of the past.
Dec 2012
6:08pm, 8 Dec 2012
79 posts
  •  
RunnyRunRun
Hope you get it sorted Pinkliverbird. I pop to my physio any time I get a niggle - I swear the man is a magician! Keeps me in my trainers anyway :)
Dec 2012
11:34pm, 28 Dec 2012
5 posts
  •  
Nixter01
I had/have runnes knee and he's it's very painful, I was sent to physio and given exercises etc and told to stop running, but could use cross trainer, not quite the same, so I quit for a while but am back out pounding the streets, have to say I am no expert runner, I just enjoy going out for a run but get these bloody niggles!

Hope you get sorted asap

Take care :)
Dec 2012
3:15pm, 29 Dec 2012
746 posts
  •  
Pinkliverbird inapeartree
Thanks guys. My knee seems to be improving (fingers crossed) Did 4 miles today without any problems. A few weeks ago I could only manage 3 before I started to feel it - here's hoping :-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Pinkliverbird
Just wondered if anyone out there may be able to give me some info or advice.

I think I may have ...