Reducing single-use/disposable plastic

74 watchers
May 2022
1:54pm, 20 May 2022
33,559 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
That sounds brilliant Winnie!

Putting this here as a reminder, we are away for the weekend, I have my list packed but we are in cafe nero, 4 packets to add later.
May 2022
5:39pm, 22 May 2022
33,586 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
I have now completed the count for the full 7 days, I don’t think this is a true reflection as I imagine slightly lower than average but it gives a good indication of waste.

May 2022
10:46am, 23 May 2022
4,980 posts
  •  
run free
Is this for 2 people?
May 2022
11:09am, 23 May 2022
33,597 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
It is run free, on reflection it's probably higher than our average as we are away and so included lunch packaging.
May 2022
4:53pm, 23 May 2022
4,981 posts
  •  
run free
I think this will be found to be on the low side as the majority of people really do not try to reduce their plastic waste. Having just seen the number of plastic cups that were used on this weekend's event :(
May 2022
6:10pm, 28 May 2022
2,633 posts
  •  
cackleberry
We've been on holiday, so will do another 2-days of counting to make it a full 7 days before I submit.
On 45 pieces after 5 days...
May 2022
10:46pm, 30 May 2022
2,636 posts
  •  
cackleberry
... Ouch, final count in at 73 pieces of plastic. A large chunk of that is dog treat wrappers. Naughty doggy :)

91% of that is food wrapping/containers.

Obviously a lot of work to be done. I hope this survey gets put to good use.
My OH still thinks it is ridiculous and doesn't care about saving the planet *sigh*
Jun 2022
7:06pm, 18 Jun 2022
867 posts
  •  
JenHB
I know it's not reducing plastic but just found out that my council [Broxtowe] now recycles the plastic milk bottle lids kerbside (I just need to put it on the bottle so it doesn't get lost in the machinery) and that the local parkrun cafe also accepts the empty medicine blister packs.
Mar 2023
9:50pm, 12 Mar 2023
22,480 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I'm going quite well now getting rid of plastics for my personal requirements. I'm now going to see whether I can now work towards getting rid of plastic for household cleaning stuff. It's a collaborative effort this time, the wife's on board with the mission so long as it doesn't cost much more and doesn't take us longer to work with.

Something that stuck me the othe day was spray bottles. We mainly use a multi-purpose antibacterial spray, which doesn't come with refills, but is eminently refillable.

Are there any plastic free/reduced plastic refills that folk are using that can be used with a spray bottle that won't cost a huge amount, or is there a good way to homebrew my own?
Mar 2023
9:58pm, 12 Mar 2023
58,863 posts
  •  
alpenrose
White vinegar does masses of things. There's a book you can buy that tells you all their uses - will save loads of money instead of buying all those chemical things.

About This Thread

Maintained by run free
Information about Plastic Packaging:
UK: wrap.org.uk

EU: ec.europa.eu

What products have microbeads?
beatthemicrobead.org

To help you reduce try one level at a time:https://tyrelady.wordpress.com/support-the-challenges/

What the EU is doing:
europa.eu

- currently the UK will be following SOME of the EU measures.
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

Terms used to describe plastic:
1. Biodegradable (also oxi-biodegradable)
2. Bioplastic
3. Compostable
4. Plastic that potentially could be recycled (has numbers)
5. Plastic that cannot be recycled

Some resources:
BBC's info on the numbers on Plastics:
news.bbc.co.uk

The misconceptions of biodegradable plastics from an academic:
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acs.est.7b04051?src=recsys&

Understanding plastic terms:
wrap.org.uk

Bioplastic developments as seen by British Plastic

britishplastics.co.uk