piriformis sharp pain in foot too

4 watchers
Apr 2014
4:02pm, 5 Apr 2014
132 posts
  •  
cariad
Help! At the beginning of March I wasn't well after a fast half marathon. It was a flu type bug which lasted over two weeks, I then slowly went back to the gym, then slowly started running again. Then my butt started hurting, the more I ran the worse it got only a week afterwards which looks a lot like piriformis. Ive been for three sports massages, I've been sticking to a slow hour on the cross trainer as running is impossible and I hobble when I walk. Today my foot started having sharp pains in it on the cross trainer and it's even more painful. Any advice as I don't want to lose my fitness (I was running long distance for a while), I'm going to the doctors next week too :-(
Apr 2014
4:10pm, 5 Apr 2014
7,396 posts
  •  
lazydaisy
What did the physio say when you had the sports massages? Did they suggest any foam rollering, or sitting on a golf or tennis ball?

I think if it's so painful I'd be giving the cross-trainer a rest for a while too. There's no point in making injuries worse in the hope of maintaining fitness and I have a feeling that's what the x-trainer might be doing (though, disclaimer: I know 0, it's just what I would be thinking.) Hopefully people who really do know something willl be along soon to help.
.B.
Apr 2014
5:32pm, 5 Apr 2014
10,871 posts
  •  
.B.
the sciatic nerve goes through the piriformis so it could be that the nerve is getting pinched .. probably worth seeing the physio to get a diagnosisi and as LD mentions getting some specific exercises to sort the problem out, good luck
May 2014
8:09am, 12 May 2014
10,635 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
just bumping this one....

I suspect I've been struggling with PS for some time now...in last October's York Marathon I thought I was experiencing a hamstring strain, and this has been off and off since. What makes me suspect that I have PS is that the problem comes and goes, if it was a strain there would be persistent pain and/or tenderness. Also, when I drive for longer than an hour or so I get a lot of pain in the flute and hamstring. This all seems like typical PS to me.

I guess I'm going to have to spend a fair amount of time with the foam roller and hard rubber ball...ouch
May 2014
4:17pm, 12 May 2014
21,250 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
I am also suffering with hamstring/glute/piriformis issues, this looks an interesting article running.competitor.com

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by cariad
Help! At the beginning of March I wasn't well after a fast half marathon. It was a flu type bug whi...