Pain on outside of foot/lower leg. May not be running related

2 watchers
Dec 2012
12:07pm, 6 Dec 2012
1,336 posts
  •  
Curly45
Okay I did a tough session on Tues (10 x 600m) and a 10 mile run yesterday. I had tight calves so kept the run yesterday nice and easy.

Was fine after that but went out to London, walked a mile to the station in the cold (still fine), stood around on a platform for ages and then walked a bit more to get some dinner. First time I noticed the sore leg was during the gig while we standing up for about 4 hours. I just thought it was a bit stiff so stood on my toes a few times to stretch it out and mostly ignored it.

Then we went to leave and I can barely walk :-O

Pain is outside of foot on the side near the ankle (and there is a red bit with some mild swelling) and then up into the side of the leg. Any ideas what it might be?

I have a rest day today except some cycling to work which I can bin if necessary, but I will be standing around for 4 hours at work!
Dec 2012
1:21pm, 6 Dec 2012
1,177 posts
  •  
Lisa T
I have a problem with my peroneous longus tendon & muscle. It sound similar to this. A bit of massage & ultrasound sorted mine. It's still a bit niggly but is helped by stretching calf & achilles & massaging the sidey bit of the calf (this is the technical term).

P.S. I could hardly walk after my club handicap but 2 days later mine felt fine. Which was odd but good news obviously. Hope you get it sorted!
Dec 2012
1:41pm, 6 Dec 2012
1,337 posts
  •  
Curly45
Thanks Lisa that was my possible first thought - I'll get OH to massage tonight and go from there! Hopefully it will get better quickly...
Dec 2012
2:18pm, 6 Dec 2012
1,178 posts
  •  
Lisa T
Oh & I do think the xc can aggravate it but we'll obviously not stop doing that! ;-)
Dec 2012
2:36pm, 6 Dec 2012
324 posts
  •  
turkey joint ear knee
had similar symptoms, and needed a rest day between runs for right foot to feel normal again, it didn't get better, but it didn't get worse. Tried the usual foam roller, ice etc but just not going so aFter about 2 months gave in an went to a physio for the first time.

so my right leg is about 8mm (sounds a bit prcise to me:)) longer than my left due to hips out of alignment. the Peronoeus muscle has born the brunt as it tries to correct the instability this longlegitits causes. Explains why all the niggles I've had all year have been in my right leg...que more phsyio / bigger bill. but at least I can get back to full training soon.

not saying you've got wonky legs Curly, just voiceing approval for the physio approach if it doesn't right itself, wish I'd gone sooner.
Dec 2012
2:45pm, 6 Dec 2012
1,338 posts
  •  
Curly45
Cool will do! Magpie has a good osteopath who is also a runner so have somewhere to go if all does not start getting better sharpish!

At least it sounds like what I thought rather than the dreaded PF (anything with feet makes me nervous) ;)
Dec 2012
5:53pm, 6 Dec 2012
1,179 posts
  •  
Lisa T
Longlegitis - like it! :-) I was told I have an issue with this too.
Dec 2012
10:16pm, 12 Dec 2012
342 posts
  •  
turkey joint ear knee
Any update curly? I had a 2nd clunk back into alignment and right arse massage at the weekend. Still a bit right sided with the niggles, but starting to feel stronger and doing back to back days again. I've got some specific stretches to do too. Advised against stretching the peroneal though, Aparently bending your ankle so to stretch it on purpose could do more harm than good.

How's your longlegitis manifest itself lisa?
Dec 2012
7:59am, 13 Dec 2012
1,348 posts
  •  
Curly45
JE - sounds like progress on your end! I am feeling much better, what I did was moved forward a rest week so am letting the foot heal without running before I start marathon training. I also seem to have a touch of pf in the same foot which I think is from trying to run when it was sore and holding my foot differently so am tennis ball rolling that and its getting better too! Have to agree on the stretching thing, that was what seem to cause my problems in the first place!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Okay I did a tough session on Tues (10 x 600m) and a 10 mile run yesterday. I had tight calves so ke...